Feb 24, 2012, 1:56 PM EDT
The good people at Bovada have posted some NHL trade deadline props for your gambling enjoyment. Let’s go through three of them, shall we?
Jonathan Bernier is an obvious trade target given the Kings already have Jonathan Quick in net. However, general manager Dean Lombardi could be loath to move his highly touted backup before locking up his starter to a long-term contract. Quick can become an unrestricted free agent after the 2013-14 season, which means he’s eligible to sign an extension on July 1. For a team like — oh gee, I dunno — the Blue Jackets that’s looking for a long-term solution in goal, there would be no harm in waiting until the summer to do a deal. The only risk is Lombardi gets an offer he can’t refuse and they miss out.
Travis Moen has been rumored as a possible addition to Detroit and Vancouver, both of which could use a gritty forward with playoff experience. Habs general manager Pierre Gauthier has reportedly told teams that Moen isn’t available, but we’re not in the business of believing what GMs say at this time of the year. Moen is currently on injured reserve, which could complicate things depending on the severity of the injury.
Bryan Allen is a big, tough defenseman that’s also a pending UFA on a team that’s a serious longshot to make the playoffs. Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford likes Allen a lot, but if he doesn’t think he’ll be able to re-sign the 31-year-old, why would he keep him?
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 3
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 51
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 40
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)