Feb 24, 2012, 1:56 PM EDT
The good people at Bovada have posted some NHL trade deadline props for your gambling enjoyment. Let’s go through three of them, shall we?
Jonathan Bernier is an obvious trade target given the Kings already have Jonathan Quick in net. However, general manager Dean Lombardi could be loath to move his highly touted backup before locking up his starter to a long-term contract. Quick can become an unrestricted free agent after the 2013-14 season, which means he’s eligible to sign an extension on July 1. For a team like — oh gee, I dunno — the Blue Jackets that’s looking for a long-term solution in goal, there would be no harm in waiting until the summer to do a deal. The only risk is Lombardi gets an offer he can’t refuse and they miss out.
Travis Moen has been rumored as a possible addition to Detroit and Vancouver, both of which could use a gritty forward with playoff experience. Habs general manager Pierre Gauthier has reportedly told teams that Moen isn’t available, but we’re not in the business of believing what GMs say at this time of the year. Moen is currently on injured reserve, which could complicate things depending on the severity of the injury.
Bryan Allen is a big, tough defenseman that’s also a pending UFA on a team that’s a serious longshot to make the playoffs. Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford likes Allen a lot, but if he doesn’t think he’ll be able to re-sign the 31-year-old, why would he keep him?
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 0
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 13
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 30
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 3
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 14
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)