Feb 24, 2012, 1:56 PM EDT
The good people at Bovada have posted some NHL trade deadline props for your gambling enjoyment. Let’s go through three of them, shall we?
Jonathan Bernier is an obvious trade target given the Kings already have Jonathan Quick in net. However, general manager Dean Lombardi could be loath to move his highly touted backup before locking up his starter to a long-term contract. Quick can become an unrestricted free agent after the 2013-14 season, which means he’s eligible to sign an extension on July 1. For a team like — oh gee, I dunno — the Blue Jackets that’s looking for a long-term solution in goal, there would be no harm in waiting until the summer to do a deal. The only risk is Lombardi gets an offer he can’t refuse and they miss out.
Travis Moen has been rumored as a possible addition to Detroit and Vancouver, both of which could use a gritty forward with playoff experience. Habs general manager Pierre Gauthier has reportedly told teams that Moen isn’t available, but we’re not in the business of believing what GMs say at this time of the year. Moen is currently on injured reserve, which could complicate things depending on the severity of the injury.
Bryan Allen is a big, tough defenseman that’s also a pending UFA on a team that’s a serious longshot to make the playoffs. Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford likes Allen a lot, but if he doesn’t think he’ll be able to re-sign the 31-year-old, why would he keep him?
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 15
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 11
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 26
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 56
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 60
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (60)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (60)