Feb 24, 2012, 1:56 PM EDT
The good people at Bovada have posted some NHL trade deadline props for your gambling enjoyment. Let’s go through three of them, shall we?
Jonathan Bernier is an obvious trade target given the Kings already have Jonathan Quick in net. However, general manager Dean Lombardi could be loath to move his highly touted backup before locking up his starter to a long-term contract. Quick can become an unrestricted free agent after the 2013-14 season, which means he’s eligible to sign an extension on July 1. For a team like — oh gee, I dunno — the Blue Jackets that’s looking for a long-term solution in goal, there would be no harm in waiting until the summer to do a deal. The only risk is Lombardi gets an offer he can’t refuse and they miss out.
Travis Moen has been rumored as a possible addition to Detroit and Vancouver, both of which could use a gritty forward with playoff experience. Habs general manager Pierre Gauthier has reportedly told teams that Moen isn’t available, but we’re not in the business of believing what GMs say at this time of the year. Moen is currently on injured reserve, which could complicate things depending on the severity of the injury.
Bryan Allen is a big, tough defenseman that’s also a pending UFA on a team that’s a serious longshot to make the playoffs. Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford likes Allen a lot, but if he doesn’t think he’ll be able to re-sign the 31-year-old, why would he keep him?
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 49
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)