Feb 24, 2012, 8:07 PM EDT
It already seemed like the Minnesota Wild asked Marek Zidlicky to waive his no-trade clause to go to the New Jersey Devils once this season. That either didn’t totally happen or the two teams couldn’t cross the t’s and dot the … lower-case j’s.
Regardless, it seemed inevitable that the coach-bashing defenseman would end up out of Minnesota, and now Nick Kypreos and Devils beat writer Tom Gulitti are indicating that it could happen for real this time. Kypreos even threw out everyone’s favorite trade deadline buzzword of “imminent,” so it’s time for Devils fans to get excited/depressed depending upon how each one feels about the offensive blueliner.
The natural question of what the Devils will give up hasn’t been cleared up just yet. Kurtis Foster seems like the logical choice because a) Zidlicky downgrades him from “marginal” to “virtually irrelevant” and b) he didn’t dress tonight. That being said, Wild beat writer Michael Russo reports that Foster at least isn’t aware of being shipped.
Update: Foster texted Russo that he has, indeed, been traded. Expect an official post soon that discusses the trade a bit more in hockey terms.
Either way, it seems like Zidlicky will take his easy hockey-hating talents to the Jersey Shore soon enough.
If it falls through again, I’ll never trust the word “imminent” again.
(Or at least not for a few hours.)
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)