Feb 24, 2012, 8:07 PM EDT
It already seemed like the Minnesota Wild asked Marek Zidlicky to waive his no-trade clause to go to the New Jersey Devils once this season. That either didn’t totally happen or the two teams couldn’t cross the t’s and dot the … lower-case j’s.
Regardless, it seemed inevitable that the coach-bashing defenseman would end up out of Minnesota, and now Nick Kypreos and Devils beat writer Tom Gulitti are indicating that it could happen for real this time. Kypreos even threw out everyone’s favorite trade deadline buzzword of “imminent,” so it’s time for Devils fans to get excited/depressed depending upon how each one feels about the offensive blueliner.
The natural question of what the Devils will give up hasn’t been cleared up just yet. Kurtis Foster seems like the logical choice because a) Zidlicky downgrades him from “marginal” to “virtually irrelevant” and b) he didn’t dress tonight. That being said, Wild beat writer Michael Russo reports that Foster at least isn’t aware of being shipped.
Update: Foster texted Russo that he has, indeed, been traded. Expect an official post soon that discusses the trade a bit more in hockey terms.
Either way, it seems like Zidlicky will take his easy hockey-hating talents to the Jersey Shore soon enough.
If it falls through again, I’ll never trust the word “imminent” again.
(Or at least not for a few hours.)
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 0
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 16
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 22
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 59
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (147)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (99)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)