Feb 24, 2012, 3:34 PM EDT
The Capitals held a players-only meeting yesterday.
Of course they did.
Washington’s won just three of its last 12 games, a slide that couldn’t be coming at a worse time in the season.
Oh, and the Caps aren’t just losing — they’re losing.
Monday in Carolina, they were down two goals just five minutes into the first period on the way to a 5-0 defeat. Wednesday in Ottawa, they were behind 4-0 by the end of the second period and went on to lose, 5-2.
Drop another tonight at home to Montreal and Washington will find itself three points back of Florida for eighth place in the Eastern Conference, and the Panthers will have two games in hand.
Thus, the players-only meeting.
“When you lose, the worst thing that can happen is sometimes guys start to point fingers,” Brooks Laich said, as per CSNWashington.com. “We want to make sure that no matter what happens, we don’t point any fingers.
“There are no excuses. You win as a team, and you lose as a team. The results haven’t been there, but the worst thing we can do is get frustrated and start tearing apart at the seams.”
Neuvirth is 6-9-3 with a .897 save percentage.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)