Feb 24, 2012, 3:34 PM EST
The Capitals held a players-only meeting yesterday.
Of course they did.
Washington’s won just three of its last 12 games, a slide that couldn’t be coming at a worse time in the season.
Oh, and the Caps aren’t just losing — they’re losing.
Monday in Carolina, they were down two goals just five minutes into the first period on the way to a 5-0 defeat. Wednesday in Ottawa, they were behind 4-0 by the end of the second period and went on to lose, 5-2.
Drop another tonight at home to Montreal and Washington will find itself three points back of Florida for eighth place in the Eastern Conference, and the Panthers will have two games in hand.
Thus, the players-only meeting.
“When you lose, the worst thing that can happen is sometimes guys start to point fingers,” Brooks Laich said, as per CSNWashington.com. “We want to make sure that no matter what happens, we don’t point any fingers.
“There are no excuses. You win as a team, and you lose as a team. The results haven’t been there, but the worst thing we can do is get frustrated and start tearing apart at the seams.”
Neuvirth is 6-9-3 with a .897 save percentage.
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 10
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 40
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (40)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)