Feb 24, 2012, 3:34 PM EDT
The Capitals held a players-only meeting yesterday.
Of course they did.
Washington’s won just three of its last 12 games, a slide that couldn’t be coming at a worse time in the season.
Oh, and the Caps aren’t just losing — they’re losing.
Monday in Carolina, they were down two goals just five minutes into the first period on the way to a 5-0 defeat. Wednesday in Ottawa, they were behind 4-0 by the end of the second period and went on to lose, 5-2.
Drop another tonight at home to Montreal and Washington will find itself three points back of Florida for eighth place in the Eastern Conference, and the Panthers will have two games in hand.
Thus, the players-only meeting.
“When you lose, the worst thing that can happen is sometimes guys start to point fingers,” Brooks Laich said, as per CSNWashington.com. “We want to make sure that no matter what happens, we don’t point any fingers.
“There are no excuses. You win as a team, and you lose as a team. The results haven’t been there, but the worst thing we can do is get frustrated and start tearing apart at the seams.”
Neuvirth is 6-9-3 with a .897 save percentage.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 29
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 38
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)