Feb 24, 2012, 3:34 PM EDT
The Capitals held a players-only meeting yesterday.
Of course they did.
Washington’s won just three of its last 12 games, a slide that couldn’t be coming at a worse time in the season.
Oh, and the Caps aren’t just losing — they’re losing.
Monday in Carolina, they were down two goals just five minutes into the first period on the way to a 5-0 defeat. Wednesday in Ottawa, they were behind 4-0 by the end of the second period and went on to lose, 5-2.
Drop another tonight at home to Montreal and Washington will find itself three points back of Florida for eighth place in the Eastern Conference, and the Panthers will have two games in hand.
Thus, the players-only meeting.
“When you lose, the worst thing that can happen is sometimes guys start to point fingers,” Brooks Laich said, as per CSNWashington.com. “We want to make sure that no matter what happens, we don’t point any fingers.
“There are no excuses. You win as a team, and you lose as a team. The results haven’t been there, but the worst thing we can do is get frustrated and start tearing apart at the seams.”
Neuvirth is 6-9-3 with a .897 save percentage.
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 9
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 6
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 6
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 28
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 54
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)