Feb 24, 2012, 9:57 PM EDT
When it comes to a game versus one of the worst teams in your conference, it really doesn’t get much bigger than the Washington Capitals’ match against the Montreal Canadiens.
Alex Ovechkin was back in the lineup. The team held a closed-door meeting. An unlikely team captured their division’s lead last night. Plenty of media members delighted in condemning the oft-condemned team.
These are the kinds of games you need to win, at least in the spiritual sense. Frankly, these are also the ones that the Capitals muffed like a wobbly punt time and time again this season.
So sure, beating the Montreal Canadiens 4-1 might not strike some as impressive. In the grand scheme of things, it’s not.
Don’t blame the Capitals if they take it as a series of good signs, though. Alex Ovechkin scored an Ovechkin-like booming goal. Free agent bust Joel Ward salvaged a semblance of dignity with an empty-netter. Washington generally did everything it needed to do and more, which might just get them back on track to win its division – or at least get in the playoffs.
Sure, villainous Rene Bourque scored a goal, but aside from that it almost felt like old times for the Capitals.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 3
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 6
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 28
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)