Feb 24, 2012, 9:57 PM EDT
When it comes to a game versus one of the worst teams in your conference, it really doesn’t get much bigger than the Washington Capitals’ match against the Montreal Canadiens.
Alex Ovechkin was back in the lineup. The team held a closed-door meeting. An unlikely team captured their division’s lead last night. Plenty of media members delighted in condemning the oft-condemned team.
These are the kinds of games you need to win, at least in the spiritual sense. Frankly, these are also the ones that the Capitals muffed like a wobbly punt time and time again this season.
So sure, beating the Montreal Canadiens 4-1 might not strike some as impressive. In the grand scheme of things, it’s not.
Don’t blame the Capitals if they take it as a series of good signs, though. Alex Ovechkin scored an Ovechkin-like booming goal. Free agent bust Joel Ward salvaged a semblance of dignity with an empty-netter. Washington generally did everything it needed to do and more, which might just get them back on track to win its division – or at least get in the playoffs.
Sure, villainous Rene Bourque scored a goal, but aside from that it almost felt like old times for the Capitals.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 19
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 42
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)