Feb 24, 2012, 2:52 PM EDT
Jeff Carter‘s first big decision as an LA King (well, first big decision that didn’t involve bottle service at the Spider Club) has been made official — he’s going to rock the double sevens.
From the Kings’ official Twitter feed:
It’s a rather curious decision. The No. 7 he wore in Columbus is already taken by Rob Scuderi, but No. 17 — the number Carter wore in Philadelphia, which was pretty much his entire NHL career — isn’t worn by any Kings player. Since Carter and Mike Richards are getting the band back together and all, you’d think he’d want his old jersey back. But no.
It should be noted that Carter wore No. 7 during his junior days in Sault Ste. Marie, but wasn’t able to wear it in Philly because it’d been retired (for Bill Barber.)
Carter will join some select company in wearing No. 77 for Los Angeles, a list that includes Paul Coffey, Ken Belanger, Garry Unger, Rob Cowie and Rod Buskas. Rod Buskas!
And for those of you asking — no, I have no idea why Carter didn’t just wear No. 77 as a Flyer. Maybe it’s because he was young and didn’t want the high number? Don’t really know. It’s not like the number had any huge significance in Philly — Paul Coffey wore it during his 12 minutes as a Flyer, as did Adam Oates, Chris Gratton and Alexei Zhitnik.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)