Feb 24, 2012, 2:52 PM EDT
Jeff Carter‘s first big decision as an LA King (well, first big decision that didn’t involve bottle service at the Spider Club) has been made official — he’s going to rock the double sevens.
From the Kings’ official Twitter feed:
It’s a rather curious decision. The No. 7 he wore in Columbus is already taken by Rob Scuderi, but No. 17 — the number Carter wore in Philadelphia, which was pretty much his entire NHL career — isn’t worn by any Kings player. Since Carter and Mike Richards are getting the band back together and all, you’d think he’d want his old jersey back. But no.
It should be noted that Carter wore No. 7 during his junior days in Sault Ste. Marie, but wasn’t able to wear it in Philly because it’d been retired (for Bill Barber.)
Carter will join some select company in wearing No. 77 for Los Angeles, a list that includes Paul Coffey, Ken Belanger, Garry Unger, Rob Cowie and Rod Buskas. Rod Buskas!
And for those of you asking — no, I have no idea why Carter didn’t just wear No. 77 as a Flyer. Maybe it’s because he was young and didn’t want the high number? Don’t really know. It’s not like the number had any huge significance in Philly — Paul Coffey wore it during his 12 minutes as a Flyer, as did Adam Oates, Chris Gratton and Alexei Zhitnik.
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 9
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 35
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 67
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 5
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 28
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 20
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte