Feb 24, 2012, 2:52 PM EDT
Jeff Carter‘s first big decision as an LA King (well, first big decision that didn’t involve bottle service at the Spider Club) has been made official — he’s going to rock the double sevens.
From the Kings’ official Twitter feed:
It’s a rather curious decision. The No. 7 he wore in Columbus is already taken by Rob Scuderi, but No. 17 — the number Carter wore in Philadelphia, which was pretty much his entire NHL career — isn’t worn by any Kings player. Since Carter and Mike Richards are getting the band back together and all, you’d think he’d want his old jersey back. But no.
It should be noted that Carter wore No. 7 during his junior days in Sault Ste. Marie, but wasn’t able to wear it in Philly because it’d been retired (for Bill Barber.)
Carter will join some select company in wearing No. 77 for Los Angeles, a list that includes Paul Coffey, Ken Belanger, Garry Unger, Rob Cowie and Rod Buskas. Rod Buskas!
And for those of you asking — no, I have no idea why Carter didn’t just wear No. 77 as a Flyer. Maybe it’s because he was young and didn’t want the high number? Don’t really know. It’s not like the number had any huge significance in Philly — Paul Coffey wore it during his 12 minutes as a Flyer, as did Adam Oates, Chris Gratton and Alexei Zhitnik.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 15
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 25
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)