Feb 24, 2012, 2:52 PM EDT
Jeff Carter‘s first big decision as an LA King (well, first big decision that didn’t involve bottle service at the Spider Club) has been made official — he’s going to rock the double sevens.
From the Kings’ official Twitter feed:
It’s a rather curious decision. The No. 7 he wore in Columbus is already taken by Rob Scuderi, but No. 17 — the number Carter wore in Philadelphia, which was pretty much his entire NHL career — isn’t worn by any Kings player. Since Carter and Mike Richards are getting the band back together and all, you’d think he’d want his old jersey back. But no.
It should be noted that Carter wore No. 7 during his junior days in Sault Ste. Marie, but wasn’t able to wear it in Philly because it’d been retired (for Bill Barber.)
Carter will join some select company in wearing No. 77 for Los Angeles, a list that includes Paul Coffey, Ken Belanger, Garry Unger, Rob Cowie and Rod Buskas. Rod Buskas!
And for those of you asking — no, I have no idea why Carter didn’t just wear No. 77 as a Flyer. Maybe it’s because he was young and didn’t want the high number? Don’t really know. It’s not like the number had any huge significance in Philly — Paul Coffey wore it during his 12 minutes as a Flyer, as did Adam Oates, Chris Gratton and Alexei Zhitnik.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)