Feb 24, 2012, 11:45 AM EDT
Joe Sacco’s only had Steve Downie in the lineup for one game, but the Colorado head coach already knows who Downie reminds him of:
“They’re kind of similar in size, and both have that edge to their game,” Sacco told the Denver Post. “They unnerve people, and [Downie] is going to unnerve the opposition, and that’s what we want.
“We want somebody who, when the defense is going after pucks, you make them nervous, and Steven can do that — much like Darcy did when he was in his prime. There is a comparison there.”
While Tucker and Sacco never crossed paths as players, Tucker did play for Sacco in his final year with Colorado. As such, the Avs head coach can draw plenty of comparisons between Tucker and Downie, who are also eerily similar in size (Townie’s 5-foot-9, 190-pounds, Tucker played at 5-foot-10, 170.)
“They both play the game hard,” Sacco said. “They are not the biggest of men, but the opposition has to be aware when they’re on the ice, and they have some skill to go along with that grit.”
Downie’s first game with the Avs was a somewhat muted affair — two hits, one shot on goal and a penalty in just over 16 minutes of ice time — but Sacco said Downie’s impact goes far beyond the scoresheet.
“You could tell there was a little bit different feeling in the room,” Sacco said. “I think that’s par for the course anytime a new player comes in. But it does give your team a lift, and I thought Steven was good [Wednesday] night. He had a late night [Tuesday], and everything has happened so quickly for him.
“But he does have a presence out there physically. He plays the game hard, and he was energetic on the bench. I think he gave us some life, no doubt.”
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)