Feb 24, 2012, 11:45 AM EDT
Joe Sacco’s only had Steve Downie in the lineup for one game, but the Colorado head coach already knows who Downie reminds him of:
“They’re kind of similar in size, and both have that edge to their game,” Sacco told the Denver Post. “They unnerve people, and [Downie] is going to unnerve the opposition, and that’s what we want.
“We want somebody who, when the defense is going after pucks, you make them nervous, and Steven can do that — much like Darcy did when he was in his prime. There is a comparison there.”
While Tucker and Sacco never crossed paths as players, Tucker did play for Sacco in his final year with Colorado. As such, the Avs head coach can draw plenty of comparisons between Tucker and Downie, who are also eerily similar in size (Townie’s 5-foot-9, 190-pounds, Tucker played at 5-foot-10, 170.)
“They both play the game hard,” Sacco said. “They are not the biggest of men, but the opposition has to be aware when they’re on the ice, and they have some skill to go along with that grit.”
Downie’s first game with the Avs was a somewhat muted affair — two hits, one shot on goal and a penalty in just over 16 minutes of ice time — but Sacco said Downie’s impact goes far beyond the scoresheet.
“You could tell there was a little bit different feeling in the room,” Sacco said. “I think that’s par for the course anytime a new player comes in. But it does give your team a lift, and I thought Steven was good [Wednesday] night. He had a late night [Tuesday], and everything has happened so quickly for him.
“But he does have a presence out there physically. He plays the game hard, and he was energetic on the bench. I think he gave us some life, no doubt.”
- Video: Patrick Kane scores a beauty against Buffalo 1
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 24
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 18
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)