Feb 24, 2012, 12:20 PM EDT
The hits just keep on coming in St. Louis.
Already without the services of Jamie Langenbrunner, Matt D’Agostini and Alex Steen, the Blues announced defenseman Kris Russell has been sent back to St. Louis to be evaluated by team doctors after suffering an injury resulting in concussion-like symptoms in Nashville on Thursday.
Russell, 24, has been a key part of the St. Louis blueline since coming over from Columbus in November. The slick puck-mover is third amongst all rearguards in goals (five) and plays over 17 minutes a night, often paired with shutdown defenseman Roman Polak.
It’s unclear how long Russell will be out of the lineup but, with him headed back home while the Blues embark on a Western road swing, it’s likely he’ll be out for at least Saturday’s game in Winnipeg and Monday’s tilt in Calgary.
What this does to GM Doug Armstrong’s trade deadline strategy remains to be seen. Former first-round pick Ian Cole has been recalled from AHL Peoria to replace Russell, and given the injuries up front — Langenbrunner’s out for at least three more weeks, nobody’s sure when D’Agostini or Steen will return — Armstrong’s primary objective could’ve been adding depth at forward (though he says he’s strapped by budget.)
But depending on the severity of Russell’s injury, Armstrong might look to add on defense instead. The Blues don’t have much depth beyond Cole, as we’ve seen in the past, going into the playoffs with a thin blueline is risky.
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 0
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 21
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 15
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 37
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)