Feb 23, 2012, 2:10 PM EST
Which do you prefer: All My Capitals or The Young and the Winless?
Whatever your choice, it’s clear Washington has descended into daytime drama territory — and the latest episode might be the juiciest one yet.
It involves Caps defenseman Roman Hamrlik, scratched for Wednesday’s game in Ottawa because head coach Dale Hunter said he “was giving up too many scoring chances,” and “took a bad penalty last game [against Carolina].”
The penalty critique didn’t sit well with the 37-year-old defenseman, who recently came up in trade rumors.
“You should ask him [Hunter] about penalties,” Hamrlik told 106.7 The Fan Washington. “When he played I think he make lots of penalties himself, so he should know better.”
Hunter, he of the 3565 career PIM, won’t appreciate the veteran rearguard’s response. Hamrlik did take a costly penalty, after all — an elbowing minor Carolina converted for the game-winning goal — and after yesterday’s critique from player agent Alan Walsh (who represents Caps goalie Tomas Vokoun), Hunter is probably in a sour mood.
But there’s another part to this story worth exploring — the potential of a deal. Rumored to be on the block, Hamrlik said he has no control over trade talks….then proceeded to say something that will probably get him shipped out of town. While it’s doubtful he was intentionally forcing GM George McPhee’s hand, Hamrlik has to know those types of comments have consequences.
All in all, another fun day in Washington.
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 5
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 43
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 68
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)