Feb 23, 2012, 2:10 PM EDT
Which do you prefer: All My Capitals or The Young and the Winless?
Whatever your choice, it’s clear Washington has descended into daytime drama territory — and the latest episode might be the juiciest one yet.
It involves Caps defenseman Roman Hamrlik, scratched for Wednesday’s game in Ottawa because head coach Dale Hunter said he “was giving up too many scoring chances,” and “took a bad penalty last game [against Carolina].”
The penalty critique didn’t sit well with the 37-year-old defenseman, who recently came up in trade rumors.
“You should ask him [Hunter] about penalties,” Hamrlik told 106.7 The Fan Washington. “When he played I think he make lots of penalties himself, so he should know better.”
Hunter, he of the 3565 career PIM, won’t appreciate the veteran rearguard’s response. Hamrlik did take a costly penalty, after all — an elbowing minor Carolina converted for the game-winning goal — and after yesterday’s critique from player agent Alan Walsh (who represents Caps goalie Tomas Vokoun), Hunter is probably in a sour mood.
But there’s another part to this story worth exploring — the potential of a deal. Rumored to be on the block, Hamrlik said he has no control over trade talks….then proceeded to say something that will probably get him shipped out of town. While it’s doubtful he was intentionally forcing GM George McPhee’s hand, Hamrlik has to know those types of comments have consequences.
All in all, another fun day in Washington.
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 7
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 55
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 34
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (55)