Feb 23, 2012, 2:10 PM EDT
Which do you prefer: All My Capitals or The Young and the Winless?
Whatever your choice, it’s clear Washington has descended into daytime drama territory — and the latest episode might be the juiciest one yet.
It involves Caps defenseman Roman Hamrlik, scratched for Wednesday’s game in Ottawa because head coach Dale Hunter said he “was giving up too many scoring chances,” and “took a bad penalty last game [against Carolina].”
The penalty critique didn’t sit well with the 37-year-old defenseman, who recently came up in trade rumors.
“You should ask him [Hunter] about penalties,” Hamrlik told 106.7 The Fan Washington. “When he played I think he make lots of penalties himself, so he should know better.”
Hunter, he of the 3565 career PIM, won’t appreciate the veteran rearguard’s response. Hamrlik did take a costly penalty, after all — an elbowing minor Carolina converted for the game-winning goal — and after yesterday’s critique from player agent Alan Walsh (who represents Caps goalie Tomas Vokoun), Hunter is probably in a sour mood.
But there’s another part to this story worth exploring — the potential of a deal. Rumored to be on the block, Hamrlik said he has no control over trade talks….then proceeded to say something that will probably get him shipped out of town. While it’s doubtful he was intentionally forcing GM George McPhee’s hand, Hamrlik has to know those types of comments have consequences.
All in all, another fun day in Washington.
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 20
- All eyes on Lundqvist 9
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 27
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)