Feb 23, 2012, 2:10 PM EDT
Which do you prefer: All My Capitals or The Young and the Winless?
Whatever your choice, it’s clear Washington has descended into daytime drama territory — and the latest episode might be the juiciest one yet.
It involves Caps defenseman Roman Hamrlik, scratched for Wednesday’s game in Ottawa because head coach Dale Hunter said he “was giving up too many scoring chances,” and “took a bad penalty last game [against Carolina].”
The penalty critique didn’t sit well with the 37-year-old defenseman, who recently came up in trade rumors.
“You should ask him [Hunter] about penalties,” Hamrlik told 106.7 The Fan Washington. “When he played I think he make lots of penalties himself, so he should know better.”
Hunter, he of the 3565 career PIM, won’t appreciate the veteran rearguard’s response. Hamrlik did take a costly penalty, after all — an elbowing minor Carolina converted for the game-winning goal — and after yesterday’s critique from player agent Alan Walsh (who represents Caps goalie Tomas Vokoun), Hunter is probably in a sour mood.
But there’s another part to this story worth exploring — the potential of a deal. Rumored to be on the block, Hamrlik said he has no control over trade talks….then proceeded to say something that will probably get him shipped out of town. While it’s doubtful he was intentionally forcing GM George McPhee’s hand, Hamrlik has to know those types of comments have consequences.
All in all, another fun day in Washington.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)