Feb 23, 2012, 2:10 PM EDT
Which do you prefer: All My Capitals or The Young and the Winless?
Whatever your choice, it’s clear Washington has descended into daytime drama territory — and the latest episode might be the juiciest one yet.
It involves Caps defenseman Roman Hamrlik, scratched for Wednesday’s game in Ottawa because head coach Dale Hunter said he “was giving up too many scoring chances,” and “took a bad penalty last game [against Carolina].”
The penalty critique didn’t sit well with the 37-year-old defenseman, who recently came up in trade rumors.
“You should ask him [Hunter] about penalties,” Hamrlik told 106.7 The Fan Washington. “When he played I think he make lots of penalties himself, so he should know better.”
Hunter, he of the 3565 career PIM, won’t appreciate the veteran rearguard’s response. Hamrlik did take a costly penalty, after all — an elbowing minor Carolina converted for the game-winning goal — and after yesterday’s critique from player agent Alan Walsh (who represents Caps goalie Tomas Vokoun), Hunter is probably in a sour mood.
But there’s another part to this story worth exploring — the potential of a deal. Rumored to be on the block, Hamrlik said he has no control over trade talks….then proceeded to say something that will probably get him shipped out of town. While it’s doubtful he was intentionally forcing GM George McPhee’s hand, Hamrlik has to know those types of comments have consequences.
All in all, another fun day in Washington.
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 7
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 21
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 7
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 53
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39