Feb 23, 2012, 12:42 PM EDT
Following the Capitals’ 5-2 defeat in Ottawa last night — their third loss in a row — NHL on NBC analysts Mike Milbury and Jeremy Roenick performed an autopsy on a lifeless Washington squad.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Milbury’s point about Hunter’s lack of NHL coaching experience is a good one. Hunter’s gone with the blunt, no-nonsense approach right from the get-go, a style that served him well at the junior level but is far more difficult to pull off in the NHL.
This isn’t to say the hard-line approach can’t work in the NHL — coaches like John Tortorella and the Sutters have used it to great effect — but Hunter has nowhere near the resume as those guys.
Simply put, it’s fair to suggest Hunter hasn’t picked his spots well. He’s publicly criticized/benched Washington’s three most veteran players — Mike Knuble, Roman Hamrlik and Tomas Vokoun — which has coincided with the Caps falling into complete disarray. Those are pretty big battles for a rookie bench boss with 38 games of head coaching experience, especially dealing with a team of *ahem* strong personalities.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 12
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 25
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)