Feb 23, 2012, 12:42 PM EDT
Following the Capitals’ 5-2 defeat in Ottawa last night — their third loss in a row — NHL on NBC analysts Mike Milbury and Jeremy Roenick performed an autopsy on a lifeless Washington squad.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Milbury’s point about Hunter’s lack of NHL coaching experience is a good one. Hunter’s gone with the blunt, no-nonsense approach right from the get-go, a style that served him well at the junior level but is far more difficult to pull off in the NHL.
This isn’t to say the hard-line approach can’t work in the NHL — coaches like John Tortorella and the Sutters have used it to great effect — but Hunter has nowhere near the resume as those guys.
Simply put, it’s fair to suggest Hunter hasn’t picked his spots well. He’s publicly criticized/benched Washington’s three most veteran players — Mike Knuble, Roman Hamrlik and Tomas Vokoun — which has coincided with the Caps falling into complete disarray. Those are pretty big battles for a rookie bench boss with 38 games of head coaching experience, especially dealing with a team of *ahem* strong personalities.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 18
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 16
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)