Feb 23, 2012, 12:42 PM EDT
Following the Capitals’ 5-2 defeat in Ottawa last night — their third loss in a row — NHL on NBC analysts Mike Milbury and Jeremy Roenick performed an autopsy on a lifeless Washington squad.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Milbury’s point about Hunter’s lack of NHL coaching experience is a good one. Hunter’s gone with the blunt, no-nonsense approach right from the get-go, a style that served him well at the junior level but is far more difficult to pull off in the NHL.
This isn’t to say the hard-line approach can’t work in the NHL — coaches like John Tortorella and the Sutters have used it to great effect — but Hunter has nowhere near the resume as those guys.
Simply put, it’s fair to suggest Hunter hasn’t picked his spots well. He’s publicly criticized/benched Washington’s three most veteran players — Mike Knuble, Roman Hamrlik and Tomas Vokoun — which has coincided with the Caps falling into complete disarray. Those are pretty big battles for a rookie bench boss with 38 games of head coaching experience, especially dealing with a team of *ahem* strong personalities.
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 2
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 16
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 28
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 106
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)