Feb 23, 2012, 12:42 PM EDT
Following the Capitals’ 5-2 defeat in Ottawa last night — their third loss in a row — NHL on NBC analysts Mike Milbury and Jeremy Roenick performed an autopsy on a lifeless Washington squad.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Milbury’s point about Hunter’s lack of NHL coaching experience is a good one. Hunter’s gone with the blunt, no-nonsense approach right from the get-go, a style that served him well at the junior level but is far more difficult to pull off in the NHL.
This isn’t to say the hard-line approach can’t work in the NHL — coaches like John Tortorella and the Sutters have used it to great effect — but Hunter has nowhere near the resume as those guys.
Simply put, it’s fair to suggest Hunter hasn’t picked his spots well. He’s publicly criticized/benched Washington’s three most veteran players — Mike Knuble, Roman Hamrlik and Tomas Vokoun — which has coincided with the Caps falling into complete disarray. Those are pretty big battles for a rookie bench boss with 38 games of head coaching experience, especially dealing with a team of *ahem* strong personalities.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 44
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 63
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 27
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (63)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)