Feb 23, 2012, 11:26 AM EST
According to reports, the San Jose Sharks aren’t willing to include Logan Couture as part of their bid in the Rick Nash sweepstakes — which has led many to speculate that another high-scoring forward, Joe Pavelski, is in the mix.
According to Pavelski, the Sharks are looking to buy.
“We’re a team that’s looking to add, more than anything,” he told CSN Bay Area’s Kevin Kurz. “That’s what we expect, and we believe in everyone in here. We’ve seen how everyone can get the job done throughout the season, and we just need everyone to step up their game and find that spot where they’re comfortable, and they’re contributing.”
Pavelski, 27, is on pace for a career-high in goals and averaging over 20 minutes a night. He represented the U.S. at the 2010 Winter Olympics and has two years left on a deal that pays $4 million annually — all of which adds up to him being rumored as a key ingredient in a potential package for Nash.
That said, Pavelski isn’t focusing on trade talks. He’s just trying snap a recent skid that’s seen San Jose go 1-4-1 over its last six.
“It’s going to be tough to get out of this,” Pavelski said. “We’re going to win a game 2-1 or 1-0 and it’s going to be one of those tight ones where somebody steps up and finds a way. You never quite know who it’s going to be, so that’s why we need everybody.”
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 13
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)