Feb 23, 2012, 6:45 PM EDT
The running joke is that the Los Angeles Kings are basically Philadelphia Flyers West, with guys like Mike Richards and Simon Gagne on their roster and deep connections in their front office. That might not even be much of a joke much longer, as TSN’s Bob McKenzie and Columbus beat writer Aaron Portzline report that the team is in serious talks of landing Richards’ buddy Jeff Carter.
LA Kings’ Insider Rich Hammond reports that if the trade goes down, Carter could play for Los Angeles as soon as Saturday if he passes a physical.
As discussed earlier, the Kings face a tough battle to hold onto the eighth playoff spot in the West. Their most glaring flaw is their inability to find the back of the net, which just so happens to be Carter’s biggest strength.
He’s also significantly cheaper than the Blue Jackets’ other trade target, Rick Nash. That certainly factors into the Kings’ situation because a) they’d rather not gut their entire roster in the middle of a playoff run and b) Jonathan Quick‘s contract expires soon, so they’ll need some room to give him a significant raise.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (33)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)