Feb 23, 2012, 6:45 PM EST
The running joke is that the Los Angeles Kings are basically Philadelphia Flyers West, with guys like Mike Richards and Simon Gagne on their roster and deep connections in their front office. That might not even be much of a joke much longer, as TSN’s Bob McKenzie and Columbus beat writer Aaron Portzline report that the team is in serious talks of landing Richards’ buddy Jeff Carter.
LA Kings’ Insider Rich Hammond reports that if the trade goes down, Carter could play for Los Angeles as soon as Saturday if he passes a physical.
As discussed earlier, the Kings face a tough battle to hold onto the eighth playoff spot in the West. Their most glaring flaw is their inability to find the back of the net, which just so happens to be Carter’s biggest strength.
He’s also significantly cheaper than the Blue Jackets’ other trade target, Rick Nash. That certainly factors into the Kings’ situation because a) they’d rather not gut their entire roster in the middle of a playoff run and b) Jonathan Quick‘s contract expires soon, so they’ll need some room to give him a significant raise.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 9
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 21
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)