Feb 23, 2012, 6:45 PM EST
The running joke is that the Los Angeles Kings are basically Philadelphia Flyers West, with guys like Mike Richards and Simon Gagne on their roster and deep connections in their front office. That might not even be much of a joke much longer, as TSN’s Bob McKenzie and Columbus beat writer Aaron Portzline report that the team is in serious talks of landing Richards’ buddy Jeff Carter.
LA Kings’ Insider Rich Hammond reports that if the trade goes down, Carter could play for Los Angeles as soon as Saturday if he passes a physical.
As discussed earlier, the Kings face a tough battle to hold onto the eighth playoff spot in the West. Their most glaring flaw is their inability to find the back of the net, which just so happens to be Carter’s biggest strength.
He’s also significantly cheaper than the Blue Jackets’ other trade target, Rick Nash. That certainly factors into the Kings’ situation because a) they’d rather not gut their entire roster in the middle of a playoff run and b) Jonathan Quick‘s contract expires soon, so they’ll need some room to give him a significant raise.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (57)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)