Feb 23, 2012, 3:24 PM EDT
Chris Kuc of the Chicago Tribune reports the paper contacted a phone number belonging to Toews via text, and the response was “it’s nothing serious at all.”
According to witnesses, Toews’ Mercedes Benz hit a support beam of an elevated train (aka “The L”) in The Loop, a commercial center in downtown Chicago. CBS radio affiliate 670 The Score confirmed the vehicle is registered to Toews with witnesses reporting Toews was the driver.
“I saw his car in the pole,” Theron Banks, an employee at Steak Express said. “I came out. People were everywhere. Toews was in the ambulance. People were videotaping and taking pictures and trying to get autographs, but police said they couldn’t get autographs.”
It should be noted that Toews is currently out of the Chicago lineup with a concussion. It’s the second one he’s suffered since 2009, the first coming on a big hit from then-Vancouver defenseman Willie Mitchell.
Here’s a picture making the rounds that claims to be of the wreck (from 25Stanley.com):
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 0
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 69
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 34
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 6
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 12
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 41
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 63