Feb 23, 2012, 3:24 PM EDT
Chris Kuc of the Chicago Tribune reports the paper contacted a phone number belonging to Toews via text, and the response was “it’s nothing serious at all.”
According to witnesses, Toews’ Mercedes Benz hit a support beam of an elevated train (aka “The L”) in The Loop, a commercial center in downtown Chicago. CBS radio affiliate 670 The Score confirmed the vehicle is registered to Toews with witnesses reporting Toews was the driver.
“I saw his car in the pole,” Theron Banks, an employee at Steak Express said. “I came out. People were everywhere. Toews was in the ambulance. People were videotaping and taking pictures and trying to get autographs, but police said they couldn’t get autographs.”
It should be noted that Toews is currently out of the Chicago lineup with a concussion. It’s the second one he’s suffered since 2009, the first coming on a big hit from then-Vancouver defenseman Willie Mitchell.
Here’s a picture making the rounds that claims to be of the wreck (from 25Stanley.com):
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession 7
- Video: Controversial Kane goal has Laviolette fuming 10
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 6
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 2
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 36
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 45
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38