Feb 23, 2012, 3:24 PM EDT
Chris Kuc of the Chicago Tribune reports the paper contacted a phone number belonging to Toews via text, and the response was “it’s nothing serious at all.”
According to witnesses, Toews’ Mercedes Benz hit a support beam of an elevated train (aka “The L”) in The Loop, a commercial center in downtown Chicago. CBS radio affiliate 670 The Score confirmed the vehicle is registered to Toews with witnesses reporting Toews was the driver.
“I saw his car in the pole,” Theron Banks, an employee at Steak Express said. “I came out. People were everywhere. Toews was in the ambulance. People were videotaping and taking pictures and trying to get autographs, but police said they couldn’t get autographs.”
It should be noted that Toews is currently out of the Chicago lineup with a concussion. It’s the second one he’s suffered since 2009, the first coming on a big hit from then-Vancouver defenseman Willie Mitchell.
Here’s a picture making the rounds that claims to be of the wreck (from 25Stanley.com):
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 12
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28