Feb 23, 2012, 3:24 PM EDT
Chris Kuc of the Chicago Tribune reports the paper contacted a phone number belonging to Toews via text, and the response was “it’s nothing serious at all.”
According to witnesses, Toews’ Mercedes Benz hit a support beam of an elevated train (aka “The L”) in The Loop, a commercial center in downtown Chicago. CBS radio affiliate 670 The Score confirmed the vehicle is registered to Toews with witnesses reporting Toews was the driver.
“I saw his car in the pole,” Theron Banks, an employee at Steak Express said. “I came out. People were everywhere. Toews was in the ambulance. People were videotaping and taking pictures and trying to get autographs, but police said they couldn’t get autographs.”
It should be noted that Toews is currently out of the Chicago lineup with a concussion. It’s the second one he’s suffered since 2009, the first coming on a big hit from then-Vancouver defenseman Willie Mitchell.
Here’s a picture making the rounds that claims to be of the wreck (from 25Stanley.com):
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 3
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 11
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9