Feb 23, 2012, 1:13 PM EDT
According to CSN Philadelphia’s Tim Panaccio, a Western Conference scout says Edmonton might have not one, but two potential trading partners for Ales Hemsky.
It’s believed the New York Rangers and L.A. Kings are in the mix for the playmaking winger. Given that both teams have been linked to the Rick Nash sweepstakes (L.A.’s also dabbled in the Jeff Carter lottery), the rumors make sense. Hemsky’s a more affordable offensive injection than Nash or Carter, though obviously a less dynamic one.
It’s easy to overlook because he injures his shoulder every third week but, when healthy, Hemsky has been close to a point-a-game performer since the lockout. One of his finest seasons came during Edmonton’s Stanley Cup run of 2005-06 (77 points in 81 regular season games; 17 in 24 playoff games) and he had 42 points in 47 games last year before — surprise! — undergoing season-ending shoulder surgery.
Hemsky has gotten lost in the shuffle this season with the Oilers offense focusing mostly on Jordan Eberle, Taylor Hall, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Sam Gagner. That said, he does have nine points in his last 11 games.
The 28-year-old Czech is in the final year of a deal that pays $4.1 million annually and, perhaps most importantly, doesn’t have a no-trade clause.
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 34
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 16
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 14
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 36
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 59
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 94
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead