Feb 23, 2012, 1:13 PM EDT
According to CSN Philadelphia’s Tim Panaccio, a Western Conference scout says Edmonton might have not one, but two potential trading partners for Ales Hemsky.
It’s believed the New York Rangers and L.A. Kings are in the mix for the playmaking winger. Given that both teams have been linked to the Rick Nash sweepstakes (L.A.’s also dabbled in the Jeff Carter lottery), the rumors make sense. Hemsky’s a more affordable offensive injection than Nash or Carter, though obviously a less dynamic one.
It’s easy to overlook because he injures his shoulder every third week but, when healthy, Hemsky has been close to a point-a-game performer since the lockout. One of his finest seasons came during Edmonton’s Stanley Cup run of 2005-06 (77 points in 81 regular season games; 17 in 24 playoff games) and he had 42 points in 47 games last year before — surprise! — undergoing season-ending shoulder surgery.
Hemsky has gotten lost in the shuffle this season with the Oilers offense focusing mostly on Jordan Eberle, Taylor Hall, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Sam Gagner. That said, he does have nine points in his last 11 games.
The 28-year-old Czech is in the final year of a deal that pays $4.1 million annually and, perhaps most importantly, doesn’t have a no-trade clause.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)