Feb 23, 2012, 7:20 PM EDT
TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports that New York Islanders GM Garth Snow and Evgeni Nabokov‘s agent have been discussing a new contract – and “will talk again.” That being said, McKenzie also stated that “no new deal is imminent.”
As great as the former San Jose Sharks netminder has been in Long Island, it’s tough to deny his climbing value on the trade market – which only grew after Ottawa Senators goalie Craig Anderson suffered a strange self-inflicted injury.
Nabokov is already 36 years old and will turn 37 in July – the same month he’ll sign his next contract unless the Isles/some other team extends him first. There’s no doubt that the Isles have some question marks in net, but with a 0.6 percent chance of making the postseason, Snow should be looking to the future.
There’s nothing wrong with going short-term, but Nabby’s greatest value might be in how much he can yield in a trade with a contender desperate to improve in net.
Either way, let there be no doubt that last season’s waiver claim was another shrewd move by Snow, who has actually made a lot of clever under-the-radar decisions that have been overshadowed by his biggest blunder with a different goalie contract. The most surprising thing is that the move paid off even considering all the headaches that came with Nabokov’s theatrics last season.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)