Feb 23, 2012, 7:20 PM EDT
TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports that New York Islanders GM Garth Snow and Evgeni Nabokov‘s agent have been discussing a new contract – and “will talk again.” That being said, McKenzie also stated that “no new deal is imminent.”
As great as the former San Jose Sharks netminder has been in Long Island, it’s tough to deny his climbing value on the trade market – which only grew after Ottawa Senators goalie Craig Anderson suffered a strange self-inflicted injury.
Nabokov is already 36 years old and will turn 37 in July – the same month he’ll sign his next contract unless the Isles/some other team extends him first. There’s no doubt that the Isles have some question marks in net, but with a 0.6 percent chance of making the postseason, Snow should be looking to the future.
There’s nothing wrong with going short-term, but Nabby’s greatest value might be in how much he can yield in a trade with a contender desperate to improve in net.
Either way, let there be no doubt that last season’s waiver claim was another shrewd move by Snow, who has actually made a lot of clever under-the-radar decisions that have been overshadowed by his biggest blunder with a different goalie contract. The most surprising thing is that the move paid off even considering all the headaches that came with Nabokov’s theatrics last season.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 55
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 3
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)