Feb 23, 2012, 7:20 PM EDT
TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports that New York Islanders GM Garth Snow and Evgeni Nabokov‘s agent have been discussing a new contract – and “will talk again.” That being said, McKenzie also stated that “no new deal is imminent.”
As great as the former San Jose Sharks netminder has been in Long Island, it’s tough to deny his climbing value on the trade market – which only grew after Ottawa Senators goalie Craig Anderson suffered a strange self-inflicted injury.
Nabokov is already 36 years old and will turn 37 in July – the same month he’ll sign his next contract unless the Isles/some other team extends him first. There’s no doubt that the Isles have some question marks in net, but with a 0.6 percent chance of making the postseason, Snow should be looking to the future.
There’s nothing wrong with going short-term, but Nabby’s greatest value might be in how much he can yield in a trade with a contender desperate to improve in net.
Either way, let there be no doubt that last season’s waiver claim was another shrewd move by Snow, who has actually made a lot of clever under-the-radar decisions that have been overshadowed by his biggest blunder with a different goalie contract. The most surprising thing is that the move paid off even considering all the headaches that came with Nabokov’s theatrics last season.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 23
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)