Feb 23, 2012, 7:20 PM EDT
TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports that New York Islanders GM Garth Snow and Evgeni Nabokov‘s agent have been discussing a new contract – and “will talk again.” That being said, McKenzie also stated that “no new deal is imminent.”
As great as the former San Jose Sharks netminder has been in Long Island, it’s tough to deny his climbing value on the trade market – which only grew after Ottawa Senators goalie Craig Anderson suffered a strange self-inflicted injury.
Nabokov is already 36 years old and will turn 37 in July – the same month he’ll sign his next contract unless the Isles/some other team extends him first. There’s no doubt that the Isles have some question marks in net, but with a 0.6 percent chance of making the postseason, Snow should be looking to the future.
There’s nothing wrong with going short-term, but Nabby’s greatest value might be in how much he can yield in a trade with a contender desperate to improve in net.
Either way, let there be no doubt that last season’s waiver claim was another shrewd move by Snow, who has actually made a lot of clever under-the-radar decisions that have been overshadowed by his biggest blunder with a different goalie contract. The most surprising thing is that the move paid off even considering all the headaches that came with Nabokov’s theatrics last season.
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 33
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 5
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 31
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 98
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)