Feb 23, 2012, 7:20 PM EDT
TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports that New York Islanders GM Garth Snow and Evgeni Nabokov‘s agent have been discussing a new contract – and “will talk again.” That being said, McKenzie also stated that “no new deal is imminent.”
As great as the former San Jose Sharks netminder has been in Long Island, it’s tough to deny his climbing value on the trade market – which only grew after Ottawa Senators goalie Craig Anderson suffered a strange self-inflicted injury.
Nabokov is already 36 years old and will turn 37 in July – the same month he’ll sign his next contract unless the Isles/some other team extends him first. There’s no doubt that the Isles have some question marks in net, but with a 0.6 percent chance of making the postseason, Snow should be looking to the future.
There’s nothing wrong with going short-term, but Nabby’s greatest value might be in how much he can yield in a trade with a contender desperate to improve in net.
Either way, let there be no doubt that last season’s waiver claim was another shrewd move by Snow, who has actually made a lot of clever under-the-radar decisions that have been overshadowed by his biggest blunder with a different goalie contract. The most surprising thing is that the move paid off even considering all the headaches that came with Nabokov’s theatrics last season.
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)