Feb 23, 2012, 1:21 PM EST
Leafs coach Ron Wilson didn’t have much of a choice in naming his starting netminder for tonight’s home game versus San Jose. After Jonas Gustavsson’s struggles Tuesday in a 4-3 overtime loss to New Jersey, James Reimer will get the nod against the Sharks.
Reimer’s last start was an ugly one – Saturday in Vancouver, the 23-year-old surrendered four goals on 18 shots before getting the hook partway through the second period. The defense was awful in front of him, but he was the first to admit he needed to make some saves.
Toronto plays two games before Monday’s trade deadline, and general manager Brian Burke finally conceded yesterday he might have to get some goaltending help.
Safe to say tonight is the biggest start of Reimer’s career. And if he gets it done tonight, Saturday’s start against the Capitals will be even bigger.
No pressure or anything.
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 4
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 32
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 53
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)