Feb 23, 2012, 1:21 PM EDT
Leafs coach Ron Wilson didn’t have much of a choice in naming his starting netminder for tonight’s home game versus San Jose. After Jonas Gustavsson’s struggles Tuesday in a 4-3 overtime loss to New Jersey, James Reimer will get the nod against the Sharks.
Reimer’s last start was an ugly one – Saturday in Vancouver, the 23-year-old surrendered four goals on 18 shots before getting the hook partway through the second period. The defense was awful in front of him, but he was the first to admit he needed to make some saves.
Toronto plays two games before Monday’s trade deadline, and general manager Brian Burke finally conceded yesterday he might have to get some goaltending help.
Safe to say tonight is the biggest start of Reimer’s career. And if he gets it done tonight, Saturday’s start against the Capitals will be even bigger.
No pressure or anything.
- WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 1
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 69
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 29
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 52
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 33
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (69)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (52)