Feb 23, 2012, 12:34 PM EDT
Tonight in Detroit, the Red Wings will look to win their record-extending 24th straight at home against a Vancouver Canucks team that’s lost just once in regulation in its last 14.
Folks, we’re heading for a showdown in Motown.
To celebrate this potential Western Conference final (yes, we’re contractually obligated to say that), we want you to predict who wins and the score. Oh, and if you nail it bang-on, we’ll bus you and a friend to Cleveland where you’ll spend three nights at the fabulous Days Inn Cleveland Airport South, of which TripAdvisor.com user letshoh said: “The bed was pleasantly comfortable and the room was clean.” (Contest open to ages 100 and above.)
A few things to consider when making your pick:
—- Detroit is 2-1-0 against the Canucks this season, winning once at home and once on the road. Last time the teams met (Feb. 2 in Vancouver), the Wings prevailed 4-3 in a shootout.
—- Tuesday in Nashville, Vancouver lost its first game in regulation game since Jan. 15.
—- Tuesday in Chicago, Detroit lost to the Blackhawks, 2-1.
—- The Canucks have the most road victories (20) of any team in the NHL.
—- Detroit is 26-2-1 at the Joe.
Here’s what we’re predicting:
Halford: Wings win 3-2 in a shootout.
Brough: Canucks win 4-3 in overtime.
OK, your turn…
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)