Feb 23, 2012, 2:56 PM EST
Even though they’re chasing Detroit for first overall in the Western Conference, the Vancouver Canucks couldn’t help rooting for the Red Wings over the past few weeks.
Why? Because they wanted to be the team to snap Detroit’s NHL-record winning streak at the Joe, according to goalie Roberto Luongo.
“We were hoping they’d still be undefeated by the time we got there, so it’s going to be fun,” Luongo told the Vancouver Province. “I was talking to the guys two or three weeks ago, hoping Detroit would hold on ’til we got there.
“That’s what’s fun about playing the game, challenges like this. As a group, we’re excited about it and we’re going to step up to the plate.”
Vancouver lost its first game at the Joe this year — a 2-0 loss back in October — but boasts the league’s best road record (20-10-2) and played Detroit tough in both games at Rogers Arena. The Canucks won 4-2 on Dec. 21 and lost 4-3 in a shootout on Feb. 2.
Luongo was in net for the two most recent games and was solid, stopping 78 of 83 shots (.939 save percentage) and while he’s fired up for the third installment, he did back off his comments somewhat prior to the game.
“I didn’t say we were going to beat them,” Luongo said, when asked if he thought he’d provided bulletin board material. “I said it was a challenge for us to come here and try to beat them. I mean, I think guys are excited about that.
“I never said we were going to come in here and win. I just said we were excited about the opportunity and that it’s a great challenge for our team to try and do something special.”
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 11
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 3
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 13
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 9
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 8
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 27
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4