Feb 23, 2012, 10:53 AM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings have officially announced they’ve re-upped with Todd Bertuzzi on a two-year deal worth $2.25 million per season.
The contract represents a slight raise for the 37-year-old RW — his last deal was also of the two-year variety but for $1.94 million annually — which, given Bertuzzi’s production over the last two years, was one of the league’s better value contracts.
Bertuzzi played in all but one game last year for Detroit, scoring 16G-29A-45PTS while playing just under 16 minutes a night. He’s been equally effective this year despite missing seven games with a back injury and sinus infection, playing on the Wings’ top line alongside Johan Franzen and Pavel Datsyuk (though, with Datsyuk out of the lineup, it’s currently being centered by Henrik Zetterberg.) Bertuzzi currently boasts a plus-21 rating, matchinghis career high set twice with Vancouver.
Now, for the rub.
As much as this deal rewards Bertuzzi’s on-ice performance, the real (and obvious) intrigue surrounding this deal will be off the ice — it means Bertuzzi will be a Red Wing when his civil case with former NHLer Steve Moore goes to trial later this fall. The target date for the Ontario Superior Court trial to begin is Sept. 24, and it promises to be a dramatic affair featuring several prominent NHL executives including Marc Crawford, Brian Burke and Colin Campbell.
- ‘We’re going into the cage,’ says Kings’ coach Sutter about Game 5 0
- Kings stave off elimination, force Game 5 against Sharks 21
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 53
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 42
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 99
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)