Feb 23, 2012, 5:18 PM EDT
Canucks winger David Booth has played 343 games in the NHL, and not one of them has been at Joe Louis Arena. Which wouldn’t be such a big deal, except Booth was born in Detroit and his family had season tickets to the Red Wings while he was growing up. Therefore, it’s no surprise that Booth will have loads of familial support in the stands tonight.
Via the Vancouver Sun:
His parents, Mike and Karen, still have a share of those season tickets after 28 seasons. Their daughter, Rachael, and another of their three sons, Joel, will be in the seats tonight. Joel will be the one in green.
“He’s going to dress as a Green Man,” Mike said Wednesday on the phone after picking up David for dinner. “You’ll be able to see him on TV. That will be my son. We are all Canucks.”
There’s a bunch of other stuff in the story, like how Booth was supposed to play in Detroit when he was a rookie with the Panthers, but hurt his knee right before and had to sit out.
But here’s the only thing I want to know – is Joel actually going to dress up as a Green Man tonight, or was that just a joke? Because I was always under the impression you were supposed to play it cool when you had a sibling that was a professional athlete. Like, “Yeah, that’s my bro out there. It’s pretty neat I guess. He used to wet the bed every night.” (Because obviously there’s some jealousy too.)
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)