Feb 23, 2012, 5:35 PM EDT
Philadelphia’s been in the middle of numerous trade rumors, and a name that continually pops up is that of forward James van Riemsdyk.
The 22-year-old signed a six-year, $25.5 million extension with the Flyers in August — suggesting he’d like to stay in Philly for the long haul — but with a no-trade clause that doesn’t kick in until 2016 and a world of potential, JVR is one of Philly’s most moveable (and cherished) assets.
Not that he wants to be moved, of course.
“This is where I want to be,” van Riemsdyk told the Philadelphia Inquirer. “Obviously, I like all the guys on the team. I just want to play my game and focus on hockey and what I can control.
“Coming back from an injury, I just want to play consistently. Just play as well as I can and the rest will take care of itself.”
van Riemsdyk missed over a month with a concussion and only recently returned to the Philly lineup, playing the last two games against Pittsburgh and Winnipeg, looking no worse for wear. He posted two assists and 10 shots on goal (seven against the Jets) while averaging 15 minutes a night, playing with Brayden Schenn and Wayne Simmonds.
The third-year pro stands 6-foot-3, 200-pounds and has shown flashes of superstar potential, mixed with maddening bouts of listlessness. He finished second on the team in game-winning goals last year, then broke through in the playoffs with seven goals in 11 games…but has run afoul of head coach Peter Laviolette this season.
van Riemsdyk’s been linked to a number of teams — Toronto being chief among them — and there’s a belief he’s become expendable given Philly’s surplus of youth (Schenn, Simmonds, Sean Couturier, Jakub Voracek and Claude Giroux are all 24 or younger.)
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 10
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)