Feb 23, 2012, 5:35 PM EDT
Philadelphia’s been in the middle of numerous trade rumors, and a name that continually pops up is that of forward James van Riemsdyk.
The 22-year-old signed a six-year, $25.5 million extension with the Flyers in August — suggesting he’d like to stay in Philly for the long haul — but with a no-trade clause that doesn’t kick in until 2016 and a world of potential, JVR is one of Philly’s most moveable (and cherished) assets.
Not that he wants to be moved, of course.
“This is where I want to be,” van Riemsdyk told the Philadelphia Inquirer. “Obviously, I like all the guys on the team. I just want to play my game and focus on hockey and what I can control.
“Coming back from an injury, I just want to play consistently. Just play as well as I can and the rest will take care of itself.”
van Riemsdyk missed over a month with a concussion and only recently returned to the Philly lineup, playing the last two games against Pittsburgh and Winnipeg, looking no worse for wear. He posted two assists and 10 shots on goal (seven against the Jets) while averaging 15 minutes a night, playing with Brayden Schenn and Wayne Simmonds.
The third-year pro stands 6-foot-3, 200-pounds and has shown flashes of superstar potential, mixed with maddening bouts of listlessness. He finished second on the team in game-winning goals last year, then broke through in the playoffs with seven goals in 11 games…but has run afoul of head coach Peter Laviolette this season.
van Riemsdyk’s been linked to a number of teams — Toronto being chief among them — and there’s a belief he’s become expendable given Philly’s surplus of youth (Schenn, Simmonds, Sean Couturier, Jakub Voracek and Claude Giroux are all 24 or younger.)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 8
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 4
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 12
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 28
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)