Feb 23, 2012, 5:35 PM EDT
Philadelphia’s been in the middle of numerous trade rumors, and a name that continually pops up is that of forward James van Riemsdyk.
The 22-year-old signed a six-year, $25.5 million extension with the Flyers in August — suggesting he’d like to stay in Philly for the long haul — but with a no-trade clause that doesn’t kick in until 2016 and a world of potential, JVR is one of Philly’s most moveable (and cherished) assets.
Not that he wants to be moved, of course.
“This is where I want to be,” van Riemsdyk told the Philadelphia Inquirer. “Obviously, I like all the guys on the team. I just want to play my game and focus on hockey and what I can control.
“Coming back from an injury, I just want to play consistently. Just play as well as I can and the rest will take care of itself.”
van Riemsdyk missed over a month with a concussion and only recently returned to the Philly lineup, playing the last two games against Pittsburgh and Winnipeg, looking no worse for wear. He posted two assists and 10 shots on goal (seven against the Jets) while averaging 15 minutes a night, playing with Brayden Schenn and Wayne Simmonds.
The third-year pro stands 6-foot-3, 200-pounds and has shown flashes of superstar potential, mixed with maddening bouts of listlessness. He finished second on the team in game-winning goals last year, then broke through in the playoffs with seven goals in 11 games…but has run afoul of head coach Peter Laviolette this season.
van Riemsdyk’s been linked to a number of teams — Toronto being chief among them — and there’s a belief he’s become expendable given Philly’s surplus of youth (Schenn, Simmonds, Sean Couturier, Jakub Voracek and Claude Giroux are all 24 or younger.)
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 9
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 19
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery