Feb 23, 2012, 10:38 PM EDT
The biggest critique of the Detroit Red Wings’ record-breaking home winning streak is that it was bolstered by shootout wins. With that beef in mind, it only makes sense that the skills competition ended what it seemingly extended, as the Vancouver Canucks topped them 4-3 (SO).
Detroit held three one-goal leads on Thursday but Vancouver fought back each time. Daniel Sedin had two of those tallies, with his game-tying one being the most dramatic. Justin Abdelkader made it 3-2 with a bit more than 6 minutes left but Sedin knotted it up with just 16 seconds remaining.
To the chagrin of many Red Wings fans, the shootout was decided by an Alex Burrows winner, who celebrated by pretending to break his stick over his knee. (That’s straight-up metaphorical, folks.) Burrows was the only guy who managed to beat either netminder in the shootout.
One other side thought: will some pundits question Mike Babcock’s decision not to start Joey MacDonald, who was on quite the streak to help the Red Wings finish the feat in the first place? It’s a pretty dopey thing to ask, but I’d wager that sentiment is floating around somewhere.
Ultimately, the streak had to end. It wasn’t all bad news for Detroit as they at least got a charity point for their troubles while Kyle Quincey scored in his Red Wings debut. Still, plenty of fans will wonder “How long could have it gone if Sedin didn’t score that goal?”
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)