Feb 23, 2012, 10:38 PM EDT
The biggest critique of the Detroit Red Wings’ record-breaking home winning streak is that it was bolstered by shootout wins. With that beef in mind, it only makes sense that the skills competition ended what it seemingly extended, as the Vancouver Canucks topped them 4-3 (SO).
Detroit held three one-goal leads on Thursday but Vancouver fought back each time. Daniel Sedin had two of those tallies, with his game-tying one being the most dramatic. Justin Abdelkader made it 3-2 with a bit more than 6 minutes left but Sedin knotted it up with just 16 seconds remaining.
To the chagrin of many Red Wings fans, the shootout was decided by an Alex Burrows winner, who celebrated by pretending to break his stick over his knee. (That’s straight-up metaphorical, folks.) Burrows was the only guy who managed to beat either netminder in the shootout.
One other side thought: will some pundits question Mike Babcock’s decision not to start Joey MacDonald, who was on quite the streak to help the Red Wings finish the feat in the first place? It’s a pretty dopey thing to ask, but I’d wager that sentiment is floating around somewhere.
Ultimately, the streak had to end. It wasn’t all bad news for Detroit as they at least got a charity point for their troubles while Kyle Quincey scored in his Red Wings debut. Still, plenty of fans will wonder “How long could have it gone if Sedin didn’t score that goal?”
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 29
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 38
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 11
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 49
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)