Feb 23, 2012, 10:38 PM EST
The biggest critique of the Detroit Red Wings’ record-breaking home winning streak is that it was bolstered by shootout wins. With that beef in mind, it only makes sense that the skills competition ended what it seemingly extended, as the Vancouver Canucks topped them 4-3 (SO).
Detroit held three one-goal leads on Thursday but Vancouver fought back each time. Daniel Sedin had two of those tallies, with his game-tying one being the most dramatic. Justin Abdelkader made it 3-2 with a bit more than 6 minutes left but Sedin knotted it up with just 16 seconds remaining.
To the chagrin of many Red Wings fans, the shootout was decided by an Alex Burrows winner, who celebrated by pretending to break his stick over his knee. (That’s straight-up metaphorical, folks.) Burrows was the only guy who managed to beat either netminder in the shootout.
One other side thought: will some pundits question Mike Babcock’s decision not to start Joey MacDonald, who was on quite the streak to help the Red Wings finish the feat in the first place? It’s a pretty dopey thing to ask, but I’d wager that sentiment is floating around somewhere.
Ultimately, the streak had to end. It wasn’t all bad news for Detroit as they at least got a charity point for their troubles while Kyle Quincey scored in his Red Wings debut. Still, plenty of fans will wonder “How long could have it gone if Sedin didn’t score that goal?”
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (70)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)