Feb 23, 2012, 10:55 AM EDT
The New York Post’s Larry Brooks believes the two games the Rangers play between now and Monday’s trade deadline – Friday on Long Island and Saturday versus the Sabres – could have an impact on their desire to acquire Rick Nash from Columbus.
Brooks argues that, given the Rangers’ offensive struggles lately, GM Glen Sather might be more willing to sweeten the pot if he doesn’t see an improvement. And while I don’t buy that argument myself (Sather knows what he’s got; two games won’t change his perception; and it’s not like they’re getting killed), Brooks does pass on the following information:
Sources familiar with the parameters of the discussions between Sather and Columbus counterpart Scott Howson have told The Post the Rangers have designated Ryan McDonagh, Michael Del Zotto, 2009 first-rounder Chris Kreider and 2011 first-rounder J.T. Miller as untouchables when the Blue Jackets requested their inclusion in the package for Nash, the 27-year-old power winger who is being dangled to deep-pocket contenders.
It is believed that Sather, who is not fazed by the ramifications of adding Nash’s contract that runs through 2017-18 at a cap hit of $7.8 million per year, is prepared to send Brandon Dubinsky, Christian Thomas, and perhaps 2010 first-rounder Dylan McIlrath plus a first round pick to Columbus in order to bring the 6-foot-4, 220-pound, nine-year veteran to Broadway.
Sather has been unwilling to include promising 20-year-old defenseman Tim Erixon — who could be a call-up for the playoffs — in the package going to the Blue Jackets, though Howson has expressed interest in the rookie North American pro.
If I’m Howson, I’d want more promising prospects than McIlrath (a big, tough defenseman, but with limited offensive upside) and Thomas (a top scorer in the OHL, but undersized). If those are the only two Sather’s willing to give up, I doubt Nash goes to the Rangers prior to the deadline.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 4
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 19
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 9
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 33
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)