Feb 23, 2012, 12:03 AM EDT
The natural reaction is to slack your jaw in amazement that the Colorado Avalanche opened up tonight’s game against the stingy Los Angeles Kings with a 3-0 first period lead.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Instinctively, it’s hard not to saturate your attention on the Kings’ failings, much like we do with each Washington Capitals flop. The Avalanche looked awfully strong in what ended up being a 4-1 win in Steve Downie‘s debut with the team, though.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Perhaps the most promising thing is that some frustrating should-be stars lead the way. Semyon Varlamov hasn’t justified the heavy cost of the trade that brought him in, but he showed some of the brilliance that prompted the deal by stopping 32 out of 33 shots. Paul Stastny has seen his stock drop dramatically the last few seasons, but he showed a lot of zip in his step while scoring two goals and coming near a hat trick.
Downie wasn’t a huge difference-maker in his 16:20 minutes of ice time, but he still seems like a good grab for a Colorado forward corps that lacks some size and muscle.
This win makes the Western Conference playoff bubble look awfully interesting:
7. Phoenix: 69 points (30 wins, 27 in regulation/OT) in 60 games played
8. Los Angeles: 66 points (27 wins, 23 in regulation/OT) in 61 GP
9. Calgary: 65 points (28 wins, 25 in regulation/OT) in 60 GP
10. Dallas: 64 points (30 wins, 26 in regulation/OT) in 60 GP
11. Colorado: 64 points (30 wins, 23 in regulation/OT) in 61 GP
12. Minnesota: 61 points (26 wins, 21 in regulation/OT) in 59 GP
13. Anaheim: 60 points (25 wins, 23 in regulation/OT) in 60 GP
In case you’re wondering, I basically broke up the teams in three groups: in the top eight (7-8), just a step behind (9-11) and not totally out of it (12-13). Stay tuned tomorrow morning for a breakdown of the Kings’ playoff prospects.
- Here’s latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 0
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 59
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)