Feb 23, 2012, 12:03 AM EDT
The natural reaction is to slack your jaw in amazement that the Colorado Avalanche opened up tonight’s game against the stingy Los Angeles Kings with a 3-0 first period lead.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Instinctively, it’s hard not to saturate your attention on the Kings’ failings, much like we do with each Washington Capitals flop. The Avalanche looked awfully strong in what ended up being a 4-1 win in Steve Downie‘s debut with the team, though.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Perhaps the most promising thing is that some frustrating should-be stars lead the way. Semyon Varlamov hasn’t justified the heavy cost of the trade that brought him in, but he showed some of the brilliance that prompted the deal by stopping 32 out of 33 shots. Paul Stastny has seen his stock drop dramatically the last few seasons, but he showed a lot of zip in his step while scoring two goals and coming near a hat trick.
Downie wasn’t a huge difference-maker in his 16:20 minutes of ice time, but he still seems like a good grab for a Colorado forward corps that lacks some size and muscle.
This win makes the Western Conference playoff bubble look awfully interesting:
7. Phoenix: 69 points (30 wins, 27 in regulation/OT) in 60 games played
8. Los Angeles: 66 points (27 wins, 23 in regulation/OT) in 61 GP
9. Calgary: 65 points (28 wins, 25 in regulation/OT) in 60 GP
10. Dallas: 64 points (30 wins, 26 in regulation/OT) in 60 GP
11. Colorado: 64 points (30 wins, 23 in regulation/OT) in 61 GP
12. Minnesota: 61 points (26 wins, 21 in regulation/OT) in 59 GP
13. Anaheim: 60 points (25 wins, 23 in regulation/OT) in 60 GP
In case you’re wondering, I basically broke up the teams in three groups: in the top eight (7-8), just a step behind (9-11) and not totally out of it (12-13). Stay tuned tomorrow morning for a breakdown of the Kings’ playoff prospects.
- PHT Morning Skate: Two top scoring duos collide in Ducks vs. Stars 0
- Pressing Question: Can the Sharks get over past playoff hurdles? 4
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 15
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 8
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 37
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)