Feb 22, 2012, 12:00 PM EDT
Pretty interesting bit of intel here from Sportsnet’s John Shannon on the three-team deal orchestrated by Tampa Bay Lightning GM Steve Yzerman:
(DRW = Detroit Red Wings)
The deal — in case you missed it yesterday — was the result of Yzerman’s slick wheeling and dealing. He first flipped forward Steve Downie to Colorado in exchange for Kyle Quincey, then turned around and sent Quincey to Detroit for the Wings’ first-round pick in 2012 and AHL defenseman Sebastien Piche.
Unsurprisingly, Colorado GM Greg Sherman received some heat over the deal. Given his sketchy trading history (see: Semyon Varlamov, Erik Johnson/Jay McClement) and the perception he might’ve been Yzerman’s patsy in this deal, there was great consternation the Sherminator had botched another one.
GM Greg Sherman wasn’t going to get a first-round pick from Detroit for him. He only knows how to trade them away in incredibly lopsided and ill-conceived deals, not the other way around.
So once more, with feeling: STOP LETTING GREG SHERMAN MAKE TRADES.
But here’s where things get a little more interesting: Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun reports Detroit made the first offer at Sherman for Quincey, and Sherman turned them down. So, if I’m piecing this together correctly:
— Detroit makes Colorado an offer for Quincey, Colorado turns it down.
— Tampa Bay makes Colorado an offer for Quincey, Colorado accepts it and is informed Quincey will be flipped to a Western Conference team.
— The Western Conference team that originally inquired about Quincey (Detroit) also happens to be the team Yzerman has intimate ties to (Detroit).
At some point, Sherman had to see the writing on the wall…right? Right?
There’s also this, from USA Today’s Kevin Allen:
Holland originally had talked to Colorado general manager Greg Sherman about acquiring Quincey, who started his career in Detroit.
“I didn’t like any of the names he brought up, and he didn’t like any of the names I brought up, and that’s where it ended,” Holland said. “Then a couple of days ago, (Tampa Bay general manager) Steve Yzerman called and said I might get Quincey. Are you interested?”
Why do I have the feeling Sherman was Omar Minaya to Yzerman’s Billy Beane in this whole thing?
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 4
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 10
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 35
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 10
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)