Feb 22, 2012, 12:00 PM EDT
Pretty interesting bit of intel here from Sportsnet’s John Shannon on the three-team deal orchestrated by Tampa Bay Lightning GM Steve Yzerman:
(DRW = Detroit Red Wings)
The deal — in case you missed it yesterday — was the result of Yzerman’s slick wheeling and dealing. He first flipped forward Steve Downie to Colorado in exchange for Kyle Quincey, then turned around and sent Quincey to Detroit for the Wings’ first-round pick in 2012 and AHL defenseman Sebastien Piche.
Unsurprisingly, Colorado GM Greg Sherman received some heat over the deal. Given his sketchy trading history (see: Semyon Varlamov, Erik Johnson/Jay McClement) and the perception he might’ve been Yzerman’s patsy in this deal, there was great consternation the Sherminator had botched another one.
GM Greg Sherman wasn’t going to get a first-round pick from Detroit for him. He only knows how to trade them away in incredibly lopsided and ill-conceived deals, not the other way around.
So once more, with feeling: STOP LETTING GREG SHERMAN MAKE TRADES.
But here’s where things get a little more interesting: Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun reports Detroit made the first offer at Sherman for Quincey, and Sherman turned them down. So, if I’m piecing this together correctly:
— Detroit makes Colorado an offer for Quincey, Colorado turns it down.
— Tampa Bay makes Colorado an offer for Quincey, Colorado accepts it and is informed Quincey will be flipped to a Western Conference team.
— The Western Conference team that originally inquired about Quincey (Detroit) also happens to be the team Yzerman has intimate ties to (Detroit).
At some point, Sherman had to see the writing on the wall…right? Right?
There’s also this, from USA Today’s Kevin Allen:
Holland originally had talked to Colorado general manager Greg Sherman about acquiring Quincey, who started his career in Detroit.
“I didn’t like any of the names he brought up, and he didn’t like any of the names I brought up, and that’s where it ended,” Holland said. “Then a couple of days ago, (Tampa Bay general manager) Steve Yzerman called and said I might get Quincey. Are you interested?”
Why do I have the feeling Sherman was Omar Minaya to Yzerman’s Billy Beane in this whole thing?
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 0
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 60
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 15
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)