Feb 22, 2012, 12:00 PM EST
Pretty interesting bit of intel here from Sportsnet’s John Shannon on the three-team deal orchestrated by Tampa Bay Lightning GM Steve Yzerman:
(DRW = Detroit Red Wings)
The deal — in case you missed it yesterday — was the result of Yzerman’s slick wheeling and dealing. He first flipped forward Steve Downie to Colorado in exchange for Kyle Quincey, then turned around and sent Quincey to Detroit for the Wings’ first-round pick in 2012 and AHL defenseman Sebastien Piche.
Unsurprisingly, Colorado GM Greg Sherman received some heat over the deal. Given his sketchy trading history (see: Semyon Varlamov, Erik Johnson/Jay McClement) and the perception he might’ve been Yzerman’s patsy in this deal, there was great consternation the Sherminator had botched another one.
GM Greg Sherman wasn’t going to get a first-round pick from Detroit for him. He only knows how to trade them away in incredibly lopsided and ill-conceived deals, not the other way around.
So once more, with feeling: STOP LETTING GREG SHERMAN MAKE TRADES.
But here’s where things get a little more interesting: Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun reports Detroit made the first offer at Sherman for Quincey, and Sherman turned them down. So, if I’m piecing this together correctly:
– Detroit makes Colorado an offer for Quincey, Colorado turns it down.
– Tampa Bay makes Colorado an offer for Quincey, Colorado accepts it and is informed Quincey will be flipped to a Western Conference team.
– The Western Conference team that originally inquired about Quincey (Detroit) also happens to be the team Yzerman has intimate ties to (Detroit).
At some point, Sherman had to see the writing on the wall…right? Right?
There’s also this, from USA Today’s Kevin Allen:
Holland originally had talked to Colorado general manager Greg Sherman about acquiring Quincey, who started his career in Detroit.
“I didn’t like any of the names he brought up, and he didn’t like any of the names I brought up, and that’s where it ended,” Holland said. “Then a couple of days ago, (Tampa Bay general manager) Steve Yzerman called and said I might get Quincey. Are you interested?”
Why do I have the feeling Sherman was Omar Minaya to Yzerman’s Billy Beane in this whole thing?
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 1
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 6
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 18
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11