Feb 22, 2012, 12:00 PM EST
Pretty interesting bit of intel here from Sportsnet’s John Shannon on the three-team deal orchestrated by Tampa Bay Lightning GM Steve Yzerman:
(DRW = Detroit Red Wings)
The deal — in case you missed it yesterday — was the result of Yzerman’s slick wheeling and dealing. He first flipped forward Steve Downie to Colorado in exchange for Kyle Quincey, then turned around and sent Quincey to Detroit for the Wings’ first-round pick in 2012 and AHL defenseman Sebastien Piche.
Unsurprisingly, Colorado GM Greg Sherman received some heat over the deal. Given his sketchy trading history (see: Semyon Varlamov, Erik Johnson/Jay McClement) and the perception he might’ve been Yzerman’s patsy in this deal, there was great consternation the Sherminator had botched another one.
GM Greg Sherman wasn’t going to get a first-round pick from Detroit for him. He only knows how to trade them away in incredibly lopsided and ill-conceived deals, not the other way around.
So once more, with feeling: STOP LETTING GREG SHERMAN MAKE TRADES.
But here’s where things get a little more interesting: Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun reports Detroit made the first offer at Sherman for Quincey, and Sherman turned them down. So, if I’m piecing this together correctly:
– Detroit makes Colorado an offer for Quincey, Colorado turns it down.
– Tampa Bay makes Colorado an offer for Quincey, Colorado accepts it and is informed Quincey will be flipped to a Western Conference team.
– The Western Conference team that originally inquired about Quincey (Detroit) also happens to be the team Yzerman has intimate ties to (Detroit).
At some point, Sherman had to see the writing on the wall…right? Right?
There’s also this, from USA Today’s Kevin Allen:
Holland originally had talked to Colorado general manager Greg Sherman about acquiring Quincey, who started his career in Detroit.
“I didn’t like any of the names he brought up, and he didn’t like any of the names I brought up, and that’s where it ended,” Holland said. “Then a couple of days ago, (Tampa Bay general manager) Steve Yzerman called and said I might get Quincey. Are you interested?”
Why do I have the feeling Sherman was Omar Minaya to Yzerman’s Billy Beane in this whole thing?
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 1
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 7
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 9
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 60
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 77
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (137)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)