Feb 22, 2012, 1:35 PM EST
The Columbus Blue Jackets have unloaded a sizeable contract, trading center Antoine Vermette to Phoenix for a 2012 second-round pick, a conditional 2013 fifth-rounder, and 28-year-old goalie Curtis McElhinney, who had abdominal surgery in January after spending most of the season in the AHL.
Vermette, 29, is signed until 2014-15 with a cap hit of $3.75 million. Like most of the Jackets, he’s underachieved this season, scoring just eight times in 60 games. In 2009-10, Vermette had a career-high 27 goals with 38 assists.
For the potentially (if not likely) playoff-bound Coyotes, the trade nets them a proven two-way center that went to the Cup finals in 2007 with the Sens and should theoretically fit the team’s style. Plus they didn’t have to give up a roster player.
“This is moving forward,” Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson told the Columbus Dispatch. “We have to move forward. It wasn’t working this season as we expected. We’re going to move forward and this is part of the process of reshaping the team.”
Howson added: “This gives us more flexibility. It’s never fun trading anybody. I don’t think any GM enjoys that. But this is about us moving the team forward.”
In conclusion, the Jackets are moving forward.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 22
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 42
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 15
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 29
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 11
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 48
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 44
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 65
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 46
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (168)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)