Feb 22, 2012, 5:30 PM EDT
Kevin Kurz of CSN Bay Area spoke with San Jose GM Doug Wilson about a report that the Sharks were becoming serious players in the Rick Nash sweepstakes. While Wilson was hesitant to confirm or deny his interest, his response was still interesting.
“First of all, I didn’t read that story, I haven’t gotten into my clips yet,” Wilson said. “We don’t talk about other teams’ players, and any conversation I do have with a fellow GM would be kept in confidence.
“Historically, though, one of the most important things we do is make this be a place where players do want to play, and make it an attractive destination for players.”
The bit about making San Jose attractive (which may or may not involve a push-up bra and mascara) is key. Nash compiled a list of clubs he’d be willing to accept a trade to, and San Jose was on it — which is interesting given Dreger’s report that Nash is thinking long-term when it comes to a new city.
And if history is any indicator, San Jose really has been an attractive destination for players. Consider who’s arrived via trade since 2007: Bill Guerin, Brian Campbell, Dan Boyle, Travis Moen, Dany Heatley, Ian White, Martin Havlat, Brent Burns and Dominic Moore. Guerin, Heatley, Havlat and Boyle all waived their NTC/NMCs and the sheer volume of acquisitions definitely says something about the franchise.
And really, there is plenty to like about San Jose: Good weather, no overzealous media, building’s 100 percent full, organization treats players well (see: Owen Nolan’s massive retirement ceremony), back-to-back Western Conference final appearances and say what you will about Thornton and Patrick Marleau coming up small in big moments, they’re still gifted offensive players.
Think of it this way: If you’re a scoring winger, you’re jumping at the chance to play alongside Jumbo. The guy got Jonathan Cheechoo a Rocket Richard Trophy — imagine what he can do for you.
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 14
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 46
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 15
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 44
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 21
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39