Feb 22, 2012, 5:30 PM EDT
Kevin Kurz of CSN Bay Area spoke with San Jose GM Doug Wilson about a report that the Sharks were becoming serious players in the Rick Nash sweepstakes. While Wilson was hesitant to confirm or deny his interest, his response was still interesting.
“First of all, I didn’t read that story, I haven’t gotten into my clips yet,” Wilson said. “We don’t talk about other teams’ players, and any conversation I do have with a fellow GM would be kept in confidence.
“Historically, though, one of the most important things we do is make this be a place where players do want to play, and make it an attractive destination for players.”
The bit about making San Jose attractive (which may or may not involve a push-up bra and mascara) is key. Nash compiled a list of clubs he’d be willing to accept a trade to, and San Jose was on it — which is interesting given Dreger’s report that Nash is thinking long-term when it comes to a new city.
And if history is any indicator, San Jose really has been an attractive destination for players. Consider who’s arrived via trade since 2007: Bill Guerin, Brian Campbell, Dan Boyle, Travis Moen, Dany Heatley, Ian White, Martin Havlat, Brent Burns and Dominic Moore. Guerin, Heatley, Havlat and Boyle all waived their NTC/NMCs and the sheer volume of acquisitions definitely says something about the franchise.
And really, there is plenty to like about San Jose: Good weather, no overzealous media, building’s 100 percent full, organization treats players well (see: Owen Nolan’s massive retirement ceremony), back-to-back Western Conference final appearances and say what you will about Thornton and Patrick Marleau coming up small in big moments, they’re still gifted offensive players.
Think of it this way: If you’re a scoring winger, you’re jumping at the chance to play alongside Jumbo. The guy got Jonathan Cheechoo a Rocket Richard Trophy — imagine what he can do for you.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)