Feb 22, 2012, 5:30 PM EST
Kevin Kurz of CSN Bay Area spoke with San Jose GM Doug Wilson about a report that the Sharks were becoming serious players in the Rick Nash sweepstakes. While Wilson was hesitant to confirm or deny his interest, his response was still interesting.
“First of all, I didn’t read that story, I haven’t gotten into my clips yet,” Wilson said. “We don’t talk about other teams’ players, and any conversation I do have with a fellow GM would be kept in confidence.
“Historically, though, one of the most important things we do is make this be a place where players do want to play, and make it an attractive destination for players.”
The bit about making San Jose attractive (which may or may not involve a push-up bra and mascara) is key. Nash compiled a list of clubs he’d be willing to accept a trade to, and San Jose was on it — which is interesting given Dreger’s report that Nash is thinking long-term when it comes to a new city.
And if history is any indicator, San Jose really has been an attractive destination for players. Consider who’s arrived via trade since 2007: Bill Guerin, Brian Campbell, Dan Boyle, Travis Moen, Dany Heatley, Ian White, Martin Havlat, Brent Burns and Dominic Moore. Guerin, Heatley, Havlat and Boyle all waived their NTC/NMCs and the sheer volume of acquisitions definitely says something about the franchise.
And really, there is plenty to like about San Jose: Good weather, no overzealous media, building’s 100 percent full, organization treats players well (see: Owen Nolan’s massive retirement ceremony), back-to-back Western Conference final appearances and say what you will about Thornton and Patrick Marleau coming up small in big moments, they’re still gifted offensive players.
Think of it this way: If you’re a scoring winger, you’re jumping at the chance to play alongside Jumbo. The guy got Jonathan Cheechoo a Rocket Richard Trophy — imagine what he can do for you.
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 13
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 19
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 17
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 61
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 28
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (63)
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)