Feb 22, 2012, 3:42 PM EDT
Teemu Selanne thinks his future could be decided over the next few days.
That’s what he told the OC Register following Anaheim’s 3-2 loss in Tampa. The Finnish Flash explained how the Ducks’ current eight-game road trip — which ends Thursday in Carolina — will play a key role in deciding if he waives his no-trade clause.
“We all knew that this trip is going to be do or die,” Selanne said. “So far we have played so well here that I don’t even have to think about any other options.”
“I know it’s my call. This road trip has helped me a lot.”
While it’s true the Ducks have played well on the trip (4-2-1 thus far), failing to get a point in Carolina could be devastating. Anaheim’s in the unenviable of having to leapfrog five teams just to get into a playoff spot, meaning regulation losses are killer. For example: Should L.A. beat Colorado tonight and Anaheim lose outright in Carolina on Thursday, the Ducks would find themselves eight points out of the playoffs with 21 games left.
At that point, would Selanne start thinking about waiving his NTC for Monday’s deadline?
“You know what, I really believe that we’re going to make it,” he said, deflecting the question. “Like I said earlier, it would be selfish to even think about other options right now.”
But there’s also this, from The Register:
When asked directly if he plans to be with the Ducks for the remainder of the season, Selanne coyly said, “Right now, yeah.”
The wildcard here is what Selanne could fetch Ducks GM Bob Murray on the open market. With Tuomo Ruutu re-upping in Carolina, there’s a real lack of impact forwards available and given the prices teams are currently paying for defensemen…well, just imagine what some GMs would be willing to pay for a point-a-game scorer with over 100 playoff games and a Stanley Cup on his resume.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)