Feb 22, 2012, 12:05 PM EDT
Concerning news for Caps fans who don’t need to be any more concerned – Alex Ovechkin left practice this morning in Ottawa after eight minutes with a possible injury. His status for tonight’s game against the Senators is unknown.
Via the Washington Post:
While he was on the ice, Ovechkin appeared to be testing something out. Just before he went back down the tunnel he tried to gather speed and explode through the neutral zone but after a few strides had to pull up. He skated over to the bench immediately and left the ice.
… Ovechkin was seen limping after Monday’s 5-0 loss to Carolina and may have suffered an injury in that contest during which he only played 15 minutes 43 seconds. The team attributed his limited ice time to an equipment problem and has not officially acknowledged that Ovechkin is injured.
Yesterday Ovechkin took a “maintenance day,” another clue he may be hurting.
The Capitals are already without top center Nicklas Backstrom (concussion), and though it’s hard to believe Ovechkin is seriously injured, if he’s hurt at all, tonight is a big game against one of the teams Washington is hoping to chase down for a playoff spot. An outright Ottawa win and the Sens would move nine points up on the Caps.
Update (12:54 p.m. ET):
Ovechkin’s got an upper-body injury and will be a game-time decision.
“I don’t feel pretty good right now, we’ll see how it goes before the game,” he said.
- Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 0
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 4
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 21
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 19
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (171)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)