Feb 22, 2012, 3:21 AM EST
In a vacuum, the trade that sent Mike Ribeiro from the Montreal Canadiens to the Dallas Stars was one of the most lopsided in recent years. Context might change that up in the same way that revisionists might view the Joe Thornton trade,* but either way it was a rather one-sided deal.
Ribeiro hasn’t exactly let bygones be bygones since that Sept. 30, 2006 deal, as you can see from the way he celebrated both his goal and being named the first star of the Stars’ 3-0 win over the Habs.
Check out his reaction to the tap-in tally:
Then bask in the glow of his first star celebration, which wasn’t exactly … humble.
So Ribeiro got his revenge. Still, when you talk about the talented-but-polarizing center’s time in Montreal, Canadiens fans have the ultimate video trump card. Check out his embellishment of a penalty during a 2004 playoff series with the Boston Bruins, which is basically the textbook definition of unsportsmanlike conduct:
Never change, Mike Ribeiro. Never change.
* – If you ask some Boston Bruins fans and some others, they’ll say that trading Jumbo Joe allowed them to move onto the Marc Savard/Zdeno Chara era. You have to get kind of abstract when Marco Sturm‘s so-so Bruins days were about the best that came from that swap for Boston, after all …
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 19
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (67)