Feb 22, 2012, 3:21 AM EDT
In a vacuum, the trade that sent Mike Ribeiro from the Montreal Canadiens to the Dallas Stars was one of the most lopsided in recent years. Context might change that up in the same way that revisionists might view the Joe Thornton trade,* but either way it was a rather one-sided deal.
Ribeiro hasn’t exactly let bygones be bygones since that Sept. 30, 2006 deal, as you can see from the way he celebrated both his goal and being named the first star of the Stars’ 3-0 win over the Habs.
Check out his reaction to the tap-in tally:
Then bask in the glow of his first star celebration, which wasn’t exactly … humble.
So Ribeiro got his revenge. Still, when you talk about the talented-but-polarizing center’s time in Montreal, Canadiens fans have the ultimate video trump card. Check out his embellishment of a penalty during a 2004 playoff series with the Boston Bruins, which is basically the textbook definition of unsportsmanlike conduct:
Never change, Mike Ribeiro. Never change.
* – If you ask some Boston Bruins fans and some others, they’ll say that trading Jumbo Joe allowed them to move onto the Marc Savard/Zdeno Chara era. You have to get kind of abstract when Marco Sturm‘s so-so Bruins days were about the best that came from that swap for Boston, after all …
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)