Feb 22, 2012, 12:29 PM EDT
Despite a recent stretch of good play, the Buffalo Sabres are still longshots to make the playoffs. Thus, the questions surrounding players like Paul Gaustad, a pending unrestricted free agent that could prove a useful rental for a Stanley Cup contender.
ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun spoke to an anonymous NHL scout about what Gaustad could bring to a team.
“He had a slow start this year, I thought, but has picked it up in the second half,” said the scout. “He’s a big guy who can grind it out — you need those guys in the playoffs — but I’d be careful to make sure to pair him with better skaters. He doesn’t get up and down the ice too well. But he’s a good penalty killer, a good pickup for a good team that just needs to upgrade their size on their third or fourth line.”
LeBrun thinks Gaustad would be a good fit in Detroit, where coach Mike Babcock has said he’d like to add some size up front. The Red Wings could also use some help on the penalty kill.
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 55
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 21
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 23
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming