Feb 22, 2012, 12:29 PM EST
Despite a recent stretch of good play, the Buffalo Sabres are still longshots to make the playoffs. Thus, the questions surrounding players like Paul Gaustad, a pending unrestricted free agent that could prove a useful rental for a Stanley Cup contender.
ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun spoke to an anonymous NHL scout about what Gaustad could bring to a team.
“He had a slow start this year, I thought, but has picked it up in the second half,” said the scout. “He’s a big guy who can grind it out — you need those guys in the playoffs — but I’d be careful to make sure to pair him with better skaters. He doesn’t get up and down the ice too well. But he’s a good penalty killer, a good pickup for a good team that just needs to upgrade their size on their third or fourth line.”
LeBrun thinks Gaustad would be a good fit in Detroit, where coach Mike Babcock has said he’d like to add some size up front. The Red Wings could also use some help on the penalty kill.
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 0
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 58
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) 61
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 61
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 36
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 62
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 167
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (169)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) (64)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (62)
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand (61)