Feb 22, 2012, 12:29 PM EDT
Despite a recent stretch of good play, the Buffalo Sabres are still longshots to make the playoffs. Thus, the questions surrounding players like Paul Gaustad, a pending unrestricted free agent that could prove a useful rental for a Stanley Cup contender.
ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun spoke to an anonymous NHL scout about what Gaustad could bring to a team.
“He had a slow start this year, I thought, but has picked it up in the second half,” said the scout. “He’s a big guy who can grind it out — you need those guys in the playoffs — but I’d be careful to make sure to pair him with better skaters. He doesn’t get up and down the ice too well. But he’s a good penalty killer, a good pickup for a good team that just needs to upgrade their size on their third or fourth line.”
LeBrun thinks Gaustad would be a good fit in Detroit, where coach Mike Babcock has said he’d like to add some size up front. The Red Wings could also use some help on the penalty kill.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)