Feb 22, 2012, 9:35 AM EDT
Kings forward Kyle Clifford is getting a night off tonight against the Avalanche and may be looking at more time.
Clifford was assessed a five-minute major and a match penalty for delivering an illegal check to the head of Phoenix forward Gilbert Brule late in the third period. Phoenix would score on the power play to tie the game and eventually beat the Kings in the shootout. Clifford has been suspended pending a review of the play and with the Kings right back at it tonight, the league had to act quickly.
Take a look at the play yourselves.
The Kings aren’t exactly happy about how things shook out on the ice after the hit with the officials. Rich Hammond of L.A. Kings Insider hears from both Dustin Brown and Darryl Sutter about it and Sutter’s take is most interesting.
Sutter said that the officials told him they have the right to go back and change their mind on a call and that one of the four officials saw the play as a major and decided to make that call instead. Sutter didn’t care for the sudden change of heart when the referees had originally settled on it being a minor penalty.
Reacting to an apparent injury is nothing new when it comes to penalties. While it seems like they got the call right, that kind of action is what frustrates players the most.
- West update: Stars blow lead yet still improve hold on wild card spot 4
- East update: Red Wings eke out shootout win for key points 0
- Luongo continues to foil Schneider as Panthers damage Devils’ playoff hopes 3
- TGIF: In which we salivate over potential playoff matchups 10
- Backstrom to receive silver medal, IOC says Sweden doctor ‘made a serious error’ 29
- Pens lose Neal to concussion 60
- Here are the top 10 and bottom 10 goalies in even-strength save percentage 22
- Weekend preview: Flyers-Pens rivalry renewed, Bruins look to stay hot 12
- Video: Stamkos scores first goal since returning to Lightning lineup 4
- Sedin backs Tortorella and staff: ‘We love playing for these coaches’ 26
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (98)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (62)
- Pens lose Neal to concussion (60)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)