Feb 22, 2012, 9:35 AM EDT
Kings forward Kyle Clifford is getting a night off tonight against the Avalanche and may be looking at more time.
Clifford was assessed a five-minute major and a match penalty for delivering an illegal check to the head of Phoenix forward Gilbert Brule late in the third period. Phoenix would score on the power play to tie the game and eventually beat the Kings in the shootout. Clifford has been suspended pending a review of the play and with the Kings right back at it tonight, the league had to act quickly.
Take a look at the play yourselves.
The Kings aren’t exactly happy about how things shook out on the ice after the hit with the officials. Rich Hammond of L.A. Kings Insider hears from both Dustin Brown and Darryl Sutter about it and Sutter’s take is most interesting.
Sutter said that the officials told him they have the right to go back and change their mind on a call and that one of the four officials saw the play as a major and decided to make that call instead. Sutter didn’t care for the sudden change of heart when the referees had originally settled on it being a minor penalty.
Reacting to an apparent injury is nothing new when it comes to penalties. While it seems like they got the call right, that kind of action is what frustrates players the most.
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 9
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 18
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)