Feb 22, 2012, 9:35 AM EDT
Kings forward Kyle Clifford is getting a night off tonight against the Avalanche and may be looking at more time.
Clifford was assessed a five-minute major and a match penalty for delivering an illegal check to the head of Phoenix forward Gilbert Brule late in the third period. Phoenix would score on the power play to tie the game and eventually beat the Kings in the shootout. Clifford has been suspended pending a review of the play and with the Kings right back at it tonight, the league had to act quickly.
Take a look at the play yourselves.
The Kings aren’t exactly happy about how things shook out on the ice after the hit with the officials. Rich Hammond of L.A. Kings Insider hears from both Dustin Brown and Darryl Sutter about it and Sutter’s take is most interesting.
Sutter said that the officials told him they have the right to go back and change their mind on a call and that one of the four officials saw the play as a major and decided to make that call instead. Sutter didn’t care for the sudden change of heart when the referees had originally settled on it being a minor penalty.
Reacting to an apparent injury is nothing new when it comes to penalties. While it seems like they got the call right, that kind of action is what frustrates players the most.
- Subban, Habs can’t agree to terms before arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 19
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 63
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 8
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 31
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)