Feb 22, 2012, 12:30 AM EDT
If all things were equal, I’d take Nash over Carter. They’re not equal, however, as Nash makes about $2.5 million more per season and would likely cost a lot more in trade assets. They’re both 27 years old and while Nash has the quantity stats over Carter, the two are pretty close in per-game averages.*
Carter added some value to his resume on Tuesday as he scored a hat trick to help the Blue Jackets shock the San Jose Sharks 6-3.
Then again, maybe such a result is getting less surprising. As we discussed this morning, the Sharks are rapidly losing their road warrior descriptor as they’re a disturbing 1-4-1 in the first six contests of a nine-game tour. All of a sudden, the Sharks’ only edge in the Pacific Division lies in their two games in hand regarding the Phoenix Coyotes as both teams are tied with 69 points.
If it comes down to fixing things with a trade, Carter might just be making an argument that he’s a solid bargain answer to his much-discussed teammate.
* – Nash has a .42 goal per game (279 in 652) and a .813 point-per-game (530 in 652) average in his NHL career while Carter averages .39 goals per game (196 in 500) and .736 points per contest (368 in 500) in his. That’s rather close, although it also shows that Carter’s fragility might explain the gulf in interest as much as questions about his partying ways.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)