Feb 22, 2012, 12:30 AM EST
If all things were equal, I’d take Nash over Carter. They’re not equal, however, as Nash makes about $2.5 million more per season and would likely cost a lot more in trade assets. They’re both 27 years old and while Nash has the quantity stats over Carter, the two are pretty close in per-game averages.*
Carter added some value to his resume on Tuesday as he scored a hat trick to help the Blue Jackets shock the San Jose Sharks 6-3.
Then again, maybe such a result is getting less surprising. As we discussed this morning, the Sharks are rapidly losing their road warrior descriptor as they’re a disturbing 1-4-1 in the first six contests of a nine-game tour. All of a sudden, the Sharks’ only edge in the Pacific Division lies in their two games in hand regarding the Phoenix Coyotes as both teams are tied with 69 points.
If it comes down to fixing things with a trade, Carter might just be making an argument that he’s a solid bargain answer to his much-discussed teammate.
* – Nash has a .42 goal per game (279 in 652) and a .813 point-per-game (530 in 652) average in his NHL career while Carter averages .39 goals per game (196 in 500) and .736 points per contest (368 in 500) in his. That’s rather close, although it also shows that Carter’s fragility might explain the gulf in interest as much as questions about his partying ways.
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 0
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 0
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 9
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 10
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 8
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 10
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 10
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 21
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)