Feb 22, 2012, 10:52 AM EDT
When opposing players go to Winnipeg, they find out it’s a place where the fans will be hard on you. For Ilya Bryzgalov, it was twice as difficult thanks to him saying he wouldn’t want to play there last season.
After being serenaded with mocking cheers of, “Ilya! Ilya!” all night long and coming out on top as the Flyers beat the Jets in overtime, Bryzgalov got to have the last laugh as Tim Panaccio of CSNPhilly.com shared.
“You know, I like it,” he said. “It’s great atmosphere. I wished every building was going to be supportive like that. They going to support me like here. It was nice to hear cheering, ‘Ilya, Ilya.’
“I never heard that before anywhere. When 15,000 people support you, it’s a great present.”
Hope you realize the tongue was firmly in cheek there. As for him finding “peace in his soul” for when he’s playing in Philadelphia, this was the same thing, right? Well…
“No,” Bryzgalov replied. “Here there is cheering. In Philly, they boo me.”
You get the feeling the nine-year deal Bryzgalov signed with the Flyers isn’t one that’s going to go down in history as one of the all-time greats.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 99
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 77
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (100)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)