Feb 22, 2012, 10:52 AM EDT
When opposing players go to Winnipeg, they find out it’s a place where the fans will be hard on you. For Ilya Bryzgalov, it was twice as difficult thanks to him saying he wouldn’t want to play there last season.
After being serenaded with mocking cheers of, “Ilya! Ilya!” all night long and coming out on top as the Flyers beat the Jets in overtime, Bryzgalov got to have the last laugh as Tim Panaccio of CSNPhilly.com shared.
“You know, I like it,” he said. “It’s great atmosphere. I wished every building was going to be supportive like that. They going to support me like here. It was nice to hear cheering, ‘Ilya, Ilya.’
“I never heard that before anywhere. When 15,000 people support you, it’s a great present.”
Hope you realize the tongue was firmly in cheek there. As for him finding “peace in his soul” for when he’s playing in Philadelphia, this was the same thing, right? Well…
“No,” Bryzgalov replied. “Here there is cheering. In Philly, they boo me.”
You get the feeling the nine-year deal Bryzgalov signed with the Flyers isn’t one that’s going to go down in history as one of the all-time greats.
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 0
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 23
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 5
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25