Feb 22, 2012, 10:52 AM EDT
When opposing players go to Winnipeg, they find out it’s a place where the fans will be hard on you. For Ilya Bryzgalov, it was twice as difficult thanks to him saying he wouldn’t want to play there last season.
After being serenaded with mocking cheers of, “Ilya! Ilya!” all night long and coming out on top as the Flyers beat the Jets in overtime, Bryzgalov got to have the last laugh as Tim Panaccio of CSNPhilly.com shared.
“You know, I like it,” he said. “It’s great atmosphere. I wished every building was going to be supportive like that. They going to support me like here. It was nice to hear cheering, ‘Ilya, Ilya.’
“I never heard that before anywhere. When 15,000 people support you, it’s a great present.”
Hope you realize the tongue was firmly in cheek there. As for him finding “peace in his soul” for when he’s playing in Philadelphia, this was the same thing, right? Well…
“No,” Bryzgalov replied. “Here there is cheering. In Philly, they boo me.”
You get the feeling the nine-year deal Bryzgalov signed with the Flyers isn’t one that’s going to go down in history as one of the all-time greats.
- Kings stave off elimination, force Game 5 against Sharks 16
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 52
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 42
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 99
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 11
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)