Feb 22, 2012, 10:52 AM EDT
When opposing players go to Winnipeg, they find out it’s a place where the fans will be hard on you. For Ilya Bryzgalov, it was twice as difficult thanks to him saying he wouldn’t want to play there last season.
After being serenaded with mocking cheers of, “Ilya! Ilya!” all night long and coming out on top as the Flyers beat the Jets in overtime, Bryzgalov got to have the last laugh as Tim Panaccio of CSNPhilly.com shared.
“You know, I like it,” he said. “It’s great atmosphere. I wished every building was going to be supportive like that. They going to support me like here. It was nice to hear cheering, ‘Ilya, Ilya.’
“I never heard that before anywhere. When 15,000 people support you, it’s a great present.”
Hope you realize the tongue was firmly in cheek there. As for him finding “peace in his soul” for when he’s playing in Philadelphia, this was the same thing, right? Well…
“No,” Bryzgalov replied. “Here there is cheering. In Philly, they boo me.”
You get the feeling the nine-year deal Bryzgalov signed with the Flyers isn’t one that’s going to go down in history as one of the all-time greats.
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 5
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 10
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 8
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 5
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 37
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 10
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)