Feb 22, 2012, 10:52 AM EDT
When opposing players go to Winnipeg, they find out it’s a place where the fans will be hard on you. For Ilya Bryzgalov, it was twice as difficult thanks to him saying he wouldn’t want to play there last season.
After being serenaded with mocking cheers of, “Ilya! Ilya!” all night long and coming out on top as the Flyers beat the Jets in overtime, Bryzgalov got to have the last laugh as Tim Panaccio of CSNPhilly.com shared.
“You know, I like it,” he said. “It’s great atmosphere. I wished every building was going to be supportive like that. They going to support me like here. It was nice to hear cheering, ‘Ilya, Ilya.’
“I never heard that before anywhere. When 15,000 people support you, it’s a great present.”
Hope you realize the tongue was firmly in cheek there. As for him finding “peace in his soul” for when he’s playing in Philadelphia, this was the same thing, right? Well…
“No,” Bryzgalov replied. “Here there is cheering. In Philly, they boo me.”
You get the feeling the nine-year deal Bryzgalov signed with the Flyers isn’t one that’s going to go down in history as one of the all-time greats.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 0
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 20
- Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 22
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 3
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 1
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)