Feb 22, 2012, 7:41 PM EDT
Graham James apologized to Theo Fleury, his other victims and the hockey community at large during his sentencing hearing on Wednesday. CTV captured much of what was said, including James’ statements.
“I stand before you with regret,” James said. “I apologize to the Canadian hockey public … and to the institution of hockey. I apologize to the people and fans in communities where I coached. I apologize to the players that I coached.
“I apologize to Theoren Fleury and to Todd Holt. I wanted the best for you but did not give you my best. My actions forfeited our friendship.”
James’ lawyer is calling for a 12-18 month community sentence that wouldn’t involve jail time, arguing that the court should not “sentence to appease the public.”
While Fleury wasn’t on hand for the hearing, his written appeal argues for James to face a 27-year sentence and includes this haunting excerpt:
“When you consider punishment for Graham James I ask this court to think not only about the law, but also about that scared little boy who had nowhere to turn, nowhere to run and nowhere to hide each and every time Graham James raped me,” Fleury’s statement said.
“I did not have the emotional skills, the knowledge or the ability to stop the rapes or change my circumstances. I felt lost, alone, and helpless.”
Fleury said that James assaulted him on about 150 different occasions.
A pyschiatrist’s report indicates that James needs treatment for “deeply engrained erotic preferences” while his representative said that he’s not the “beast everyone thinks he is.”
Although Fleury and former teammate Sheldon Kennedy hope for a lengthy jail term, they acknowledge the stronger possibility for a much lighter community punishment instead.
“You know, Graham James is going to walk — again,” Kennedy said. “That’s not right.”
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 10
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 4
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 33
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)