Feb 22, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
The trials and tribulations of the Washington Capitals this season are all too well known at this point. A team blessed with talent that’s performing below standard the way the Caps are means trouble when it comes to playoff hopes.
Caps forward Jeff Halpern pulled no punches when talking about where the team is in the standings. With the Caps sitting 10th in the East but just two points out of both the Southeast Division lead and the eighth playoff spot, he tells Chuck Gormley of CSNWashington.com that he’s stunned they’re that close.
“It’s amazing that as bad as we’ve played, we’re still in it,” Caps center Jeff Halpern told reporters. “For us not to seize these opportunities, shame on us. With efforts like (Monday night’s 5-0 loss in Carolina), we’re not going to do anything.”
The Caps have been a very average team this season. The goal scoring comes and goes the same way the goaltending does and it’s been rare when the two have hit their highs at the same time.
Then again, the last season Halpern suited up in a Caps uniform it was the 2005-2006 season when the team finished fifth in the division and had the fourth worst record in the league. He’s seen worse.
- Habs sign Petry to six-year, $33 million extension 11
- ‘Home-grown talent’ a staple of Blackhawks and Lightning 4
- A holdover from the ‘dark days,’ does Sharp have a future in Chicago? 32
- Bishop: ‘Taller guys…can be just as athletic as the smaller guys’ 6
- Tire pump? Yzerman says Toews is ‘bigger, stronger, better’ than he was 16
- Devils officially announce John Hynes, becomes youngest NHL coach 9
- PHT arrives in Tampa, gets soaked (oh, and today is Media Day) 6
- Ex-Leafs goalie Pogge eyeing North American return 5
- Poll: Should the Ducks fire Boudreau? 86
- Zuccarello (brain contusion, skull fracture) was unable to speak after injury 28
- ‘Hawks rise to occasion in Game 7, head to SCF for third time in six years (95)
- Poll: Should the Ducks fire Boudreau? (86)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (76)
- Is it fair to hold cap teams to old dynasty standards? (74)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (65)