Feb 22, 2012, 11:51 AM EST
The trials and tribulations of the Washington Capitals this season are all too well known at this point. A team blessed with talent that’s performing below standard the way the Caps are means trouble when it comes to playoff hopes.
Caps forward Jeff Halpern pulled no punches when talking about where the team is in the standings. With the Caps sitting 10th in the East but just two points out of both the Southeast Division lead and the eighth playoff spot, he tells Chuck Gormley of CSNWashington.com that he’s stunned they’re that close.
“It’s amazing that as bad as we’ve played, we’re still in it,” Caps center Jeff Halpern told reporters. “For us not to seize these opportunities, shame on us. With efforts like (Monday night’s 5-0 loss in Carolina), we’re not going to do anything.”
The Caps have been a very average team this season. The goal scoring comes and goes the same way the goaltending does and it’s been rare when the two have hit their highs at the same time.
Then again, the last season Halpern suited up in a Caps uniform it was the 2005-2006 season when the team finished fifth in the division and had the fourth worst record in the league. He’s seen worse.
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 21
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) 36
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 58
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 33
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 56
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 165
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (165)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand (61)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)