Feb 22, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
The trials and tribulations of the Washington Capitals this season are all too well known at this point. A team blessed with talent that’s performing below standard the way the Caps are means trouble when it comes to playoff hopes.
Caps forward Jeff Halpern pulled no punches when talking about where the team is in the standings. With the Caps sitting 10th in the East but just two points out of both the Southeast Division lead and the eighth playoff spot, he tells Chuck Gormley of CSNWashington.com that he’s stunned they’re that close.
“It’s amazing that as bad as we’ve played, we’re still in it,” Caps center Jeff Halpern told reporters. “For us not to seize these opportunities, shame on us. With efforts like (Monday night’s 5-0 loss in Carolina), we’re not going to do anything.”
The Caps have been a very average team this season. The goal scoring comes and goes the same way the goaltending does and it’s been rare when the two have hit their highs at the same time.
Then again, the last season Halpern suited up in a Caps uniform it was the 2005-2006 season when the team finished fifth in the division and had the fourth worst record in the league. He’s seen worse.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)