Feb 22, 2012, 11:51 AM EST
The trials and tribulations of the Washington Capitals this season are all too well known at this point. A team blessed with talent that’s performing below standard the way the Caps are means trouble when it comes to playoff hopes.
Caps forward Jeff Halpern pulled no punches when talking about where the team is in the standings. With the Caps sitting 10th in the East but just two points out of both the Southeast Division lead and the eighth playoff spot, he tells Chuck Gormley of CSNWashington.com that he’s stunned they’re that close.
“It’s amazing that as bad as we’ve played, we’re still in it,” Caps center Jeff Halpern told reporters. “For us not to seize these opportunities, shame on us. With efforts like (Monday night’s 5-0 loss in Carolina), we’re not going to do anything.”
The Caps have been a very average team this season. The goal scoring comes and goes the same way the goaltending does and it’s been rare when the two have hit their highs at the same time.
Then again, the last season Halpern suited up in a Caps uniform it was the 2005-2006 season when the team finished fifth in the division and had the fourth worst record in the league. He’s seen worse.
- Miller’s second straight shutout puts Canucks in NHL lead 15
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 3
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 6
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 25
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)