Feb 22, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
The trials and tribulations of the Washington Capitals this season are all too well known at this point. A team blessed with talent that’s performing below standard the way the Caps are means trouble when it comes to playoff hopes.
Caps forward Jeff Halpern pulled no punches when talking about where the team is in the standings. With the Caps sitting 10th in the East but just two points out of both the Southeast Division lead and the eighth playoff spot, he tells Chuck Gormley of CSNWashington.com that he’s stunned they’re that close.
“It’s amazing that as bad as we’ve played, we’re still in it,” Caps center Jeff Halpern told reporters. “For us not to seize these opportunities, shame on us. With efforts like (Monday night’s 5-0 loss in Carolina), we’re not going to do anything.”
The Caps have been a very average team this season. The goal scoring comes and goes the same way the goaltending does and it’s been rare when the two have hit their highs at the same time.
Then again, the last season Halpern suited up in a Caps uniform it was the 2005-2006 season when the team finished fifth in the division and had the fourth worst record in the league. He’s seen worse.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 10
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 4
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 14
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 33
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)