Feb 22, 2012, 2:47 PM EST
The clock is ticking in Carolina.
That’s what ‘Canes GM Jim Rutherford told the Raleigh News and Observer, saying his offer to Tuomo Ruutu essentially expires today and that he’s waiting to hear if the 27-year-old forward will accept.
“We’ve worked very hard on this,” Rutherford said. “We’ve gone through the process to the end. We’ve gone as far as we can go and we are hopeful he’ll be staying.”
Rutherford said he expects an answer soon from Ruutu, who has been sidelined with an upper-body injury. The impending UFA hasn’t played since Feb. 13 but is expected to return within the next two weeks, meaning that — if he doesn’t agree to terms with the Hurricanes — he could be shopped in advance of Monday’s trade deadline.
Update (2:47 p.m. ET):
Chip Alexander of the Raleigh News & Observer reports that Ruutu is expected to re-sign today.
TSN’s Bob McKenzie tweets that it’s expected to be a four-year deal with a “slight bump” on Ruutu’s current cap hit of $3.8 million.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 8
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 32
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)