Feb 22, 2012, 2:47 PM EDT
The clock is ticking in Carolina.
That’s what ‘Canes GM Jim Rutherford told the Raleigh News and Observer, saying his offer to Tuomo Ruutu essentially expires today and that he’s waiting to hear if the 27-year-old forward will accept.
“We’ve worked very hard on this,” Rutherford said. “We’ve gone through the process to the end. We’ve gone as far as we can go and we are hopeful he’ll be staying.”
Rutherford said he expects an answer soon from Ruutu, who has been sidelined with an upper-body injury. The impending UFA hasn’t played since Feb. 13 but is expected to return within the next two weeks, meaning that — if he doesn’t agree to terms with the Hurricanes — he could be shopped in advance of Monday’s trade deadline.
Update (2:47 p.m. ET):
Chip Alexander of the Raleigh News & Observer reports that Ruutu is expected to re-sign today.
TSN’s Bob McKenzie tweets that it’s expected to be a four-year deal with a “slight bump” on Ruutu’s current cap hit of $3.8 million.
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 0
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 47
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 22
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 17
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 14
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)