Feb 22, 2012, 2:47 PM EDT
The clock is ticking in Carolina.
That’s what ‘Canes GM Jim Rutherford told the Raleigh News and Observer, saying his offer to Tuomo Ruutu essentially expires today and that he’s waiting to hear if the 27-year-old forward will accept.
“We’ve worked very hard on this,” Rutherford said. “We’ve gone through the process to the end. We’ve gone as far as we can go and we are hopeful he’ll be staying.”
Rutherford said he expects an answer soon from Ruutu, who has been sidelined with an upper-body injury. The impending UFA hasn’t played since Feb. 13 but is expected to return within the next two weeks, meaning that — if he doesn’t agree to terms with the Hurricanes — he could be shopped in advance of Monday’s trade deadline.
Update (2:47 p.m. ET):
Chip Alexander of the Raleigh News & Observer reports that Ruutu is expected to re-sign today.
TSN’s Bob McKenzie tweets that it’s expected to be a four-year deal with a “slight bump” on Ruutu’s current cap hit of $3.8 million.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 4
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 32
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 35
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 52
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (52)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)