Feb 22, 2012, 11:14 PM EST
With all the attention that the other streaky Central Division teams were getting, it’s probably easy to ignore what the St. Louis Blues have been doing at home. The Boston Bruins shined a bit of a spotlight on that by beating them 4-2, ending the Blues’ franchise-record 21-game points streak in St. Louis.
Granted, it’s a points streak, not a winning streak. The Blues came into tonight’s game with a dazzling 18-0-3 record in their last 21 games in St. Louis, as they hadn’t lost a home contest in regulation since the Chicago Blackhawks beat them 5-2 on Dec. 3, 2011.
What this game means
Either way, this could be a nice reset for the Bruins and a test for the Blues.
Boston had been struggling a bit – at least relatively speaking – but beating a team as formidable and defensively adept as St. Louis could help them get back on track. The Ottawa Senators briefly “tied” the Bruins with 72 points tonight but now Boston has 74 and four games in hand.
St. Louis is hitting a tiny rut with recent struggles against the Central Division and two losses in a row. Once the Detroit Red Wings really revved up their home run, it was probably time for the Blues to kiss their division title hopes goodbye, but the young team needs to stay committed to make their thin-margin-of-error style work.
Perhaps they learned a little something from Boston, then, as the Bruins were once a lot like them.
Check out highlights from the game:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (57)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)