Feb 22, 2012, 11:14 PM EDT
With all the attention that the other streaky Central Division teams were getting, it’s probably easy to ignore what the St. Louis Blues have been doing at home. The Boston Bruins shined a bit of a spotlight on that by beating them 4-2, ending the Blues’ franchise-record 21-game points streak in St. Louis.
Granted, it’s a points streak, not a winning streak. The Blues came into tonight’s game with a dazzling 18-0-3 record in their last 21 games in St. Louis, as they hadn’t lost a home contest in regulation since the Chicago Blackhawks beat them 5-2 on Dec. 3, 2011.
What this game means
Either way, this could be a nice reset for the Bruins and a test for the Blues.
Boston had been struggling a bit – at least relatively speaking – but beating a team as formidable and defensively adept as St. Louis could help them get back on track. The Ottawa Senators briefly “tied” the Bruins with 72 points tonight but now Boston has 74 and four games in hand.
St. Louis is hitting a tiny rut with recent struggles against the Central Division and two losses in a row. Once the Detroit Red Wings really revved up their home run, it was probably time for the Blues to kiss their division title hopes goodbye, but the young team needs to stay committed to make their thin-margin-of-error style work.
Perhaps they learned a little something from Boston, then, as the Bruins were once a lot like them.
Check out highlights from the game:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 7
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 22
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 7
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 13
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22