Feb 22, 2012, 12:37 PM EDT
After a whirlwind day that saw him traded first to Tampa Bay and then Detroit, Kyle Quincey has settled in nicely as a Red Wing. He talked to reporters, spoke favorably about going back to the Motor City…before mentioning the organization didn’t give him a Stanley Cup ring in 2008, and how that’s driving him to get one this year.
“By far that’s the biggest plus coming to Detroit, winning,” Quincey told MLive.com. “Being there and being able to watch [as a Black Ace] and be a very small part of that, you want to get back to that.”
“Going to a great team that has a chance to win a Cup — that’s your dream as a little kid growing up.”
Club policy prevented Quincey from getting a ring in 2007-08 — he only played six regular-season games — and at the start of next season, he was put on waivers and scooped up by Los Angeles. Four years later, Detroit made amends by re-acquiring the 26-year-old rearguard in exchange for a first-round pick and AHL defenseman Sebastien Piche. (Of note, the guy Detroit originally kept over Quincey, Derek Meech, is currently with Winnipeg’s AHL affiliate in St. John’s.)
Quincey says he has no hard feelings about how things ended in Detroit, especially about not getting a ring.
“I never once said I was disappointed or upset,” Quincey said. “That’s team policy and it is what it is. I would like to get my own this year, that’s for sure.
“When I got put on waivers everything was so new to me and going so fast I didn’t know what any of it meant. Next thing I know I’m on a flight to L.A., and everything just worked out so well there. I had a chance to play in the NHL, which was my dream. I didn’t think it was going to happen in Detroit.”
It’s expected Quincey will play on Detroit’s third defense pairing with Jonathan Ericsson.
“Just from the outside looking in, they got great chemistry on the top four,” Quincey said. “I played with Johnny in the minors. If that’s where I start, that’s fine with me.”
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)