Feb 22, 2012, 12:37 PM EST
After a whirlwind day that saw him traded first to Tampa Bay and then Detroit, Kyle Quincey has settled in nicely as a Red Wing. He talked to reporters, spoke favorably about going back to the Motor City…before mentioning the organization didn’t give him a Stanley Cup ring in 2008, and how that’s driving him to get one this year.
“By far that’s the biggest plus coming to Detroit, winning,” Quincey told MLive.com. “Being there and being able to watch [as a Black Ace] and be a very small part of that, you want to get back to that.”
“Going to a great team that has a chance to win a Cup — that’s your dream as a little kid growing up.”
Club policy prevented Quincey from getting a ring in 2007-08 — he only played six regular-season games — and at the start of next season, he was put on waivers and scooped up by Los Angeles. Four years later, Detroit made amends by re-acquiring the 26-year-old rearguard in exchange for a first-round pick and AHL defenseman Sebastien Piche. (Of note, the guy Detroit originally kept over Quincey, Derek Meech, is currently with Winnipeg’s AHL affiliate in St. John’s.)
Quincey says he has no hard feelings about how things ended in Detroit, especially about not getting a ring.
“I never once said I was disappointed or upset,” Quincey said. “That’s team policy and it is what it is. I would like to get my own this year, that’s for sure.
“When I got put on waivers everything was so new to me and going so fast I didn’t know what any of it meant. Next thing I know I’m on a flight to L.A., and everything just worked out so well there. I had a chance to play in the NHL, which was my dream. I didn’t think it was going to happen in Detroit.”
It’s expected Quincey will play on Detroit’s third defense pairing with Jonathan Ericsson.
“Just from the outside looking in, they got great chemistry on the top four,” Quincey said. “I played with Johnny in the minors. If that’s where I start, that’s fine with me.”
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 0
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 2
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 6
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 101
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 128
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (128)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (101)