Feb 22, 2012, 12:37 PM EDT
After a whirlwind day that saw him traded first to Tampa Bay and then Detroit, Kyle Quincey has settled in nicely as a Red Wing. He talked to reporters, spoke favorably about going back to the Motor City…before mentioning the organization didn’t give him a Stanley Cup ring in 2008, and how that’s driving him to get one this year.
“By far that’s the biggest plus coming to Detroit, winning,” Quincey told MLive.com. “Being there and being able to watch [as a Black Ace] and be a very small part of that, you want to get back to that.”
“Going to a great team that has a chance to win a Cup — that’s your dream as a little kid growing up.”
Club policy prevented Quincey from getting a ring in 2007-08 — he only played six regular-season games — and at the start of next season, he was put on waivers and scooped up by Los Angeles. Four years later, Detroit made amends by re-acquiring the 26-year-old rearguard in exchange for a first-round pick and AHL defenseman Sebastien Piche. (Of note, the guy Detroit originally kept over Quincey, Derek Meech, is currently with Winnipeg’s AHL affiliate in St. John’s.)
Quincey says he has no hard feelings about how things ended in Detroit, especially about not getting a ring.
“I never once said I was disappointed or upset,” Quincey said. “That’s team policy and it is what it is. I would like to get my own this year, that’s for sure.
“When I got put on waivers everything was so new to me and going so fast I didn’t know what any of it meant. Next thing I know I’m on a flight to L.A., and everything just worked out so well there. I had a chance to play in the NHL, which was my dream. I didn’t think it was going to happen in Detroit.”
It’s expected Quincey will play on Detroit’s third defense pairing with Jonathan Ericsson.
“Just from the outside looking in, they got great chemistry on the top four,” Quincey said. “I played with Johnny in the minors. If that’s where I start, that’s fine with me.”
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)