Feb 21, 2012, 3:35 PM EST
With just six days left until the NHL trade deadline, Mac Engel of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram thinks Dallas GM Joe Nieuwendyk should be willing to deal anybody on his roster…well, anybody aside from Jamie Benn, Loui Eriksson, Kari Lehtonen and Alex Goligoski, four players deemed the future of the franchise.
One name not on Engel’s list? Steve Ott. The 29-year-old grinder has spent his entire career in Dallas yet finds himself mentioned in various trade rumors — something he wants no part of.
“I hear this stuff all the time. I don’t want to be traded,” Ott said. “I believe in this team. I believe in these guys. I believe in this franchise. This is the only team I’ve ever known. I don’t want to go anywhere.
“But it’s out of my control. If it happens, it happens.”
Ott isn’t the only Dallas veteran popping up in rumors. Engel lists Brenden Morrow, Stephane Robidas, Michael Ryder and Sheldon Souray as assets that “will get you something” in return — and it’s interesting to note that, of those mentioned, Ott is the youngest at 29. (Also interesting to note that Ott, Morrow and Robidas all have no-trade clauses, according to Capgeek.)
It seems Dallas is ready to fully embrace a youth movement/changing of the guard. The Stars have a new owner (Tom Gaglardi) and great optimism about 26-and-under core of Benn, Eriksson, Goligoski and prospects Jamie Oleksiak, Scott Glennie, Alex Chiasson and Jack Campbell.
There’s also the issue of Dallas’ fading playoff chances. Despite their strong start to the season, the Stars have fallen on hard times recently:
The team is losing more than it’s winning, and in the position of requiring countless variables to break right to make the playoffs.
The last time the Stars won five straight was Oct. 10 through Oct. 21. They had a three-game winning streak in early December. Since then, however, it’s been more multi-game losing streaks than winning streaks, which has the team looking like it will be playoff-less again.
Stars GM Joe Nieuwendyk’s goal is to make the playoffs, but at what cost? His recent trade of defenseman Nick Grossman to the Flyers for some draft picks is not a white flag, but Joe is at a delicate point.
In light of this, it’ll be interesting to see how Dallas approaches the deadline. Phoenix GM Don Maloney noted there’s a distinct lack of sellers on the market and should he decide to unload, Nieuwendyk would have plenty of intriguing assets for teams fight over.
UPDATE: ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun has more on potential Dallas deals, including rumors surrounding Mike Ribeiro.
Nov 22, 2014, 1:45 AM EST
Nov 22, 2014, 12:40 AM EST
Booed off the ice at the end of this game.
Nov 21, 2014, 11:52 PM EST
It was nice.
Nov 21, 2014, 11:29 PM EST
Going from bad to worse for Edmonton.
Nov 21, 2014, 10:51 PM EST
Lucic didn’t drop his gloves. Prout did. History between these two.
Nov 21, 2014, 10:17 PM EST
There’s a history between these two.
Nov 21, 2014, 10:02 PM EST
Columbus was leading 2-0 at the time.
Nov 21, 2014, 9:40 PM EST
Ranks seventh in the NHL in ice time.
Nov 21, 2014, 8:49 PM EST
Possible headbutt in this fight?
Nov 21, 2014, 8:11 PM EST
They’ve won big and they’ve lost big.
Nov 21, 2014, 7:14 PM EST
A San Jose draft pick from 2008.
Nov 21, 2014, 6:37 PM EST
Avs call up a trio of players from the AHL.
Nov 21, 2014, 5:31 PM EST
“I really feel bad for him. It appears his parents mismanaged his money.”
Nov 21, 2014, 4:40 PM EST
Pursuant to the “Bona Fide Long-Term Injury Exception” section of the CBA.
Nov 21, 2014, 4:21 PM EST
That’s a guy shoveling snow off his roof in Buffalo.
Nov 21, 2014, 3:43 PM EST
D-man for d-man.
Nov 21, 2014, 3:17 PM EST
Currently out of the playoff picture in the Western Conference.
Nov 21, 2014, 2:29 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Nov 21, 2014, 2:21 PM EST
Even coach DeBoer is surprised a backup hasn’t started yet.
Nov 21, 2014, 1:30 PM EST
Veteran Avs forward won’t play Saturday against Carolina.
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 0
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 17
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 29
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 30
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 75
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 13
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (75)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)