Feb 21, 2012, 3:35 PM EST
With just six days left until the NHL trade deadline, Mac Engel of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram thinks Dallas GM Joe Nieuwendyk should be willing to deal anybody on his roster…well, anybody aside from Jamie Benn, Loui Eriksson, Kari Lehtonen and Alex Goligoski, four players deemed the future of the franchise.
One name not on Engel’s list? Steve Ott. The 29-year-old grinder has spent his entire career in Dallas yet finds himself mentioned in various trade rumors — something he wants no part of.
“I hear this stuff all the time. I don’t want to be traded,” Ott said. “I believe in this team. I believe in these guys. I believe in this franchise. This is the only team I’ve ever known. I don’t want to go anywhere.
“But it’s out of my control. If it happens, it happens.”
Ott isn’t the only Dallas veteran popping up in rumors. Engel lists Brenden Morrow, Stephane Robidas, Michael Ryder and Sheldon Souray as assets that “will get you something” in return — and it’s interesting to note that, of those mentioned, Ott is the youngest at 29. (Also interesting to note that Ott, Morrow and Robidas all have no-trade clauses, according to Capgeek.)
It seems Dallas is ready to fully embrace a youth movement/changing of the guard. The Stars have a new owner (Tom Gaglardi) and great optimism about 26-and-under core of Benn, Eriksson, Goligoski and prospects Jamie Oleksiak, Scott Glennie, Alex Chiasson and Jack Campbell.
There’s also the issue of Dallas’ fading playoff chances. Despite their strong start to the season, the Stars have fallen on hard times recently:
The team is losing more than it’s winning, and in the position of requiring countless variables to break right to make the playoffs.
The last time the Stars won five straight was Oct. 10 through Oct. 21. They had a three-game winning streak in early December. Since then, however, it’s been more multi-game losing streaks than winning streaks, which has the team looking like it will be playoff-less again.
Stars GM Joe Nieuwendyk’s goal is to make the playoffs, but at what cost? His recent trade of defenseman Nick Grossman to the Flyers for some draft picks is not a white flag, but Joe is at a delicate point.
In light of this, it’ll be interesting to see how Dallas approaches the deadline. Phoenix GM Don Maloney noted there’s a distinct lack of sellers on the market and should he decide to unload, Nieuwendyk would have plenty of intriguing assets for teams fight over.
UPDATE: ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun has more on potential Dallas deals, including rumors surrounding Mike Ribeiro.
Dec 9, 2013, 6:53 PM EST
Adding some toughness.
Dec 9, 2013, 5:45 PM EST
Red Wings actually fared well in his absence.
Dec 9, 2013, 5:15 PM EST
Jon Cooper knows it could be a lot worse.
Dec 9, 2013, 4:25 PM EST
“We’re pretty frustrated,” said Ryan McDonagh.
Dec 9, 2013, 3:55 PM EST
Anaheim’s coming off two impressive wins over the ‘Hawks and Blues.
Dec 9, 2013, 3:17 PM EST
Tough times in the Chicago goal.
Dec 9, 2013, 2:45 PM EST
All the latest from the blue paint…
Dec 9, 2013, 2:44 PM EST
They’re in Anaheim to play the Ducks tonight.
Dec 9, 2013, 2:08 PM EST
Sounds like it could be.
Dec 9, 2013, 1:40 PM EST
And the players and coach seem to agree with the chart.
Dec 9, 2013, 1:37 PM EST
He’s been up, he’s been down.
Dec 9, 2013, 1:16 PM EST
The first punishment handed down from Saturday’s ugly Pittsburgh-Boston affair.
Dec 9, 2013, 12:47 PM EST
‘Canes play tonight in Vancouver and tomorrow in Edmonton.
Dec 9, 2013, 12:29 PM EST
Bit of a dream season for the 27-year-old hometown boy.
Dec 9, 2013, 12:29 PM EST
Free agent signing has been a disappointment this season.
Dec 9, 2013, 12:12 PM EST
“I guess I got him in the back of the leg.”
Dec 9, 2013, 11:49 AM EST
“Well that’s just super,” the Blue Jackets probably didn’t say.
Dec 9, 2013, 11:34 AM EST
It’s a mismatch on paper.
Dec 9, 2013, 11:23 AM EST
He led Philadelphia in scoring for a while.
Dec 9, 2013, 11:12 AM EST
Russian rookie is on fire at the moment.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 141
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 97
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 116
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (143)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (127)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (116)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (97)