Feb 21, 2012, 3:35 PM EDT
With just six days left until the NHL trade deadline, Mac Engel of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram thinks Dallas GM Joe Nieuwendyk should be willing to deal anybody on his roster…well, anybody aside from Jamie Benn, Loui Eriksson, Kari Lehtonen and Alex Goligoski, four players deemed the future of the franchise.
One name not on Engel’s list? Steve Ott. The 29-year-old grinder has spent his entire career in Dallas yet finds himself mentioned in various trade rumors — something he wants no part of.
“I hear this stuff all the time. I don’t want to be traded,” Ott said. “I believe in this team. I believe in these guys. I believe in this franchise. This is the only team I’ve ever known. I don’t want to go anywhere.
“But it’s out of my control. If it happens, it happens.”
Ott isn’t the only Dallas veteran popping up in rumors. Engel lists Brenden Morrow, Stephane Robidas, Michael Ryder and Sheldon Souray as assets that “will get you something” in return — and it’s interesting to note that, of those mentioned, Ott is the youngest at 29. (Also interesting to note that Ott, Morrow and Robidas all have no-trade clauses, according to Capgeek.)
It seems Dallas is ready to fully embrace a youth movement/changing of the guard. The Stars have a new owner (Tom Gaglardi) and great optimism about 26-and-under core of Benn, Eriksson, Goligoski and prospects Jamie Oleksiak, Scott Glennie, Alex Chiasson and Jack Campbell.
There’s also the issue of Dallas’ fading playoff chances. Despite their strong start to the season, the Stars have fallen on hard times recently:
The team is losing more than it’s winning, and in the position of requiring countless variables to break right to make the playoffs.
The last time the Stars won five straight was Oct. 10 through Oct. 21. They had a three-game winning streak in early December. Since then, however, it’s been more multi-game losing streaks than winning streaks, which has the team looking like it will be playoff-less again.
Stars GM Joe Nieuwendyk’s goal is to make the playoffs, but at what cost? His recent trade of defenseman Nick Grossman to the Flyers for some draft picks is not a white flag, but Joe is at a delicate point.
In light of this, it’ll be interesting to see how Dallas approaches the deadline. Phoenix GM Don Maloney noted there’s a distinct lack of sellers on the market and should he decide to unload, Nieuwendyk would have plenty of intriguing assets for teams fight over.
UPDATE: ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun has more on potential Dallas deals, including rumors surrounding Mike Ribeiro.
Jul 30, 2014, 1:28 PM EDT
Finnish club is moving to the KHL next season.
Jul 30, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT
Arbitration hearing is scheduled for Thursday.
Jul 30, 2014, 11:28 AM EDT
After not giving him a qualifying offer.
Jul 30, 2014, 11:12 AM EDT
That’s Lacroix, when he was an assistant for Tampa Bay.
Jul 30, 2014, 10:44 AM EDT
Jim Hiller and Andrew Brewer join Tony Granato, who’s also new.
Jul 30, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Jul 30, 2014, 10:10 AM EDT
Will this all get settled before Friday’s hearing?
Jul 30, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Tell us how you really feel, Brad.
Jul 30, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Kings captain meets Rangers fan. Hi-jinx ensue.
Jul 29, 2014, 10:02 PM EDT
From 64 (mercurial) to 10 (gritty!)
Jul 29, 2014, 9:02 PM EDT
Now battling Bon Jovi and Donald Trump!
Jul 29, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
“This has been a difficult decision for Kevin.”
Jul 29, 2014, 7:01 PM EDT
After a year away from the game.
Jul 29, 2014, 6:04 PM EDT
Pretty nice pay bump for the 24-year-old rearguard.
Jul 29, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
6-foot-8, 250-pounder was a first-round pick in 2005.
Jul 29, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
Hall of Famer will work as an assistant under Ted Nolan.
Jul 29, 2014, 3:28 PM EDT
Fare thee well, Sammi.
Jul 29, 2014, 2:17 PM EDT
Low-risk signing, with good potential upside.
Jul 29, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT
“When you do have a little more responsibility, you want to take your lunch pail and get ready to work.”
Jul 29, 2014, 12:36 PM EDT
Had 13 goals and eight assists in 2013-14, his rookie season in the NHL.
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 29
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 37
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 17
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 43
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (39)