Feb 21, 2012, 8:00 AM EDT
The San Jose Sharks have averaged about 50 road points per season under coach Todd McLellan, according to The Mercury News’ David Pollak. That might not sound like much, but it’s one of the tendencies that’s helped the Sharks distinguish themselves as one of the league’s best regular season teams.
With a 1-3-1 mark in their current road trip and a 2-6-2 record in their last 10 away games, Pollak wonders if their relative road warrior status is in jeopardy.
“We’re not that far off, but we’re off,” McLellan said. “We now look at the overall road game – Are we using our minutes properly? Do we create momentum? Do we keep it? Are we bearing down in situations that are essential – whether it’s offensively or defensively?
“I think there are a number of players who can do a better job in that area and can do a better job. That’s the trick, to get them to do it. We’ll keep pushing.”
The Sharks might upgrade the situation from a slight concern to a significant annoyance if they lose tonight against the lowly Blue Jackets in Columbus. After that, they’ll play the last three road games of this nine-game trip* before rotating four-game spans (home, then road) before playing six out of seven contests at the Shark Tank in mid-March.
San Jose’s in a solid position to win the Pacific Division, but getting their away act together would just about clinch it.
* – Those away contests are against Toronto (Thursday), Nashville (Saturday) and Minnesota (Sunday).
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)