Feb 21, 2012, 8:00 AM EDT
The San Jose Sharks have averaged about 50 road points per season under coach Todd McLellan, according to The Mercury News’ David Pollak. That might not sound like much, but it’s one of the tendencies that’s helped the Sharks distinguish themselves as one of the league’s best regular season teams.
With a 1-3-1 mark in their current road trip and a 2-6-2 record in their last 10 away games, Pollak wonders if their relative road warrior status is in jeopardy.
“We’re not that far off, but we’re off,” McLellan said. “We now look at the overall road game – Are we using our minutes properly? Do we create momentum? Do we keep it? Are we bearing down in situations that are essential – whether it’s offensively or defensively?
“I think there are a number of players who can do a better job in that area and can do a better job. That’s the trick, to get them to do it. We’ll keep pushing.”
The Sharks might upgrade the situation from a slight concern to a significant annoyance if they lose tonight against the lowly Blue Jackets in Columbus. After that, they’ll play the last three road games of this nine-game trip* before rotating four-game spans (home, then road) before playing six out of seven contests at the Shark Tank in mid-March.
San Jose’s in a solid position to win the Pacific Division, but getting their away act together would just about clinch it.
* – Those away contests are against Toronto (Thursday), Nashville (Saturday) and Minnesota (Sunday).
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 0
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 17
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 21
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 10
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 71
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 23
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 57
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (69)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car