Feb 21, 2012, 8:00 AM EDT
The San Jose Sharks have averaged about 50 road points per season under coach Todd McLellan, according to The Mercury News’ David Pollak. That might not sound like much, but it’s one of the tendencies that’s helped the Sharks distinguish themselves as one of the league’s best regular season teams.
With a 1-3-1 mark in their current road trip and a 2-6-2 record in their last 10 away games, Pollak wonders if their relative road warrior status is in jeopardy.
“We’re not that far off, but we’re off,” McLellan said. “We now look at the overall road game – Are we using our minutes properly? Do we create momentum? Do we keep it? Are we bearing down in situations that are essential – whether it’s offensively or defensively?
“I think there are a number of players who can do a better job in that area and can do a better job. That’s the trick, to get them to do it. We’ll keep pushing.”
The Sharks might upgrade the situation from a slight concern to a significant annoyance if they lose tonight against the lowly Blue Jackets in Columbus. After that, they’ll play the last three road games of this nine-game trip* before rotating four-game spans (home, then road) before playing six out of seven contests at the Shark Tank in mid-March.
San Jose’s in a solid position to win the Pacific Division, but getting their away act together would just about clinch it.
* – Those away contests are against Toronto (Thursday), Nashville (Saturday) and Minnesota (Sunday).
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (90)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)