Feb 21, 2012, 12:50 PM EDT
Last week when we announced with great sadness that Tuomu Ruutu was retiring from the trade rumor mill, we secretly held out hope it wasn’t so.
Fortunately, it might not be so.
TSN’s Darren Dreger reports via Twitter that the Hurricanes need to know by Wednesday if Ruutu will accept their contract offer, otherwise he might be back on the market.
Ruutu is currently out for a couple of weeks with an upper-body injury, but that shouldn’t seriously affect his trade value.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)