Feb 21, 2012, 12:50 PM EDT
Last week when we announced with great sadness that Tuomu Ruutu was retiring from the trade rumor mill, we secretly held out hope it wasn’t so.
Fortunately, it might not be so.
TSN’s Darren Dreger reports via Twitter that the Hurricanes need to know by Wednesday if Ruutu will accept their contract offer, otherwise he might be back on the market.
Ruutu is currently out for a couple of weeks with an upper-body injury, but that shouldn’t seriously affect his trade value.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 6
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 19
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 10
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 36
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)