Feb 21, 2012, 7:01 PM EDT
A source has told CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty that Nathan Horton’s concussion recovery has stalled.
“[It’s] going to be a while,” the source said when asked about Horton’s return to action. “He’s not close right now.”
The Bruins forward suffered his second concussion in an eight-month span on Jan. 21 after a hit from Philly’s Tom Sestito — the 26-year-old has now missed 11 games and didn’t travel with the Bruins on their current six-game, 11-day road trip. While Haggerty’s source says expectations are that Horton will return this year, doubts are being raised in light of recent events and the fact there are only 25 games left in the regular season.
It’s hard to gauge where the organization actually stands on Horton’s return. Bruins head coach Claude Julien spoke briefly about the situation on Tuesday, telling reporters that Horton hasn’t resumed skating since suffering a setback several weeks ago — meanwhile, Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli has spoken publicly about the possibility of having to replace Horton at the deadline.
This, of course, begs the question: How strongly do the Bruins believe in Horton coming back?
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 46
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 8
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)