Feb 21, 2012, 11:52 AM EDT
After Washington’s miserable performance against Carolina getting shut out 5-0, you knew that Caps owner Ted Leonsis wouldn’t be pleased with the effort.
Leonsis spoke his mind on his blog this morning and tried to stay positive in spite of the continued inconsistent play by his team.
That was the worst game of the season; we came up small when we needed to come up big and win a game on the road. Another wasted opportunity to get two points and move up in the standings. An unacceptable performance – a 5 to 0 loss.
Since the Capitals swept out Bruce Boudreau and put Dale Hunter in as the interim head coach, the Caps have gone 17-16-4. They sit 10th in the East and they’re third in the miserable Southeast Division, two points behind Florida and one point back of Winnipeg. While Tampa Bay and Carolina are seemingly out of the playoff race, they’re just five and six points respectively behind Washington.
The Caps are so close to being in the playoffs but are equally close to being a completely miserable team in the East. This is what being an average hockey team is like.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)