Feb 21, 2012, 11:52 AM EST
After Washington’s miserable performance against Carolina getting shut out 5-0, you knew that Caps owner Ted Leonsis wouldn’t be pleased with the effort.
Leonsis spoke his mind on his blog this morning and tried to stay positive in spite of the continued inconsistent play by his team.
That was the worst game of the season; we came up small when we needed to come up big and win a game on the road. Another wasted opportunity to get two points and move up in the standings. An unacceptable performance – a 5 to 0 loss.
Since the Capitals swept out Bruce Boudreau and put Dale Hunter in as the interim head coach, the Caps have gone 17-16-4. They sit 10th in the East and they’re third in the miserable Southeast Division, two points behind Florida and one point back of Winnipeg. While Tampa Bay and Carolina are seemingly out of the playoff race, they’re just five and six points respectively behind Washington.
The Caps are so close to being in the playoffs but are equally close to being a completely miserable team in the East. This is what being an average hockey team is like.
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 11
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 10
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 0
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 15
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 21
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 13
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 9
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 10
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)