Feb 21, 2012, 11:52 AM EDT
After Washington’s miserable performance against Carolina getting shut out 5-0, you knew that Caps owner Ted Leonsis wouldn’t be pleased with the effort.
Leonsis spoke his mind on his blog this morning and tried to stay positive in spite of the continued inconsistent play by his team.
That was the worst game of the season; we came up small when we needed to come up big and win a game on the road. Another wasted opportunity to get two points and move up in the standings. An unacceptable performance – a 5 to 0 loss.
Since the Capitals swept out Bruce Boudreau and put Dale Hunter in as the interim head coach, the Caps have gone 17-16-4. They sit 10th in the East and they’re third in the miserable Southeast Division, two points behind Florida and one point back of Winnipeg. While Tampa Bay and Carolina are seemingly out of the playoff race, they’re just five and six points respectively behind Washington.
The Caps are so close to being in the playoffs but are equally close to being a completely miserable team in the East. This is what being an average hockey team is like.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 4
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 18
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 44
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 46
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (65)