Feb 21, 2012, 11:52 AM EDT
After Washington’s miserable performance against Carolina getting shut out 5-0, you knew that Caps owner Ted Leonsis wouldn’t be pleased with the effort.
Leonsis spoke his mind on his blog this morning and tried to stay positive in spite of the continued inconsistent play by his team.
That was the worst game of the season; we came up small when we needed to come up big and win a game on the road. Another wasted opportunity to get two points and move up in the standings. An unacceptable performance – a 5 to 0 loss.
Since the Capitals swept out Bruce Boudreau and put Dale Hunter in as the interim head coach, the Caps have gone 17-16-4. They sit 10th in the East and they’re third in the miserable Southeast Division, two points behind Florida and one point back of Winnipeg. While Tampa Bay and Carolina are seemingly out of the playoff race, they’re just five and six points respectively behind Washington.
The Caps are so close to being in the playoffs but are equally close to being a completely miserable team in the East. This is what being an average hockey team is like.
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 6
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 16
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 9
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 51
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 21
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- HBT: Angels' Trout hits for cycle against Mariners