Feb 21, 2012, 11:52 AM EST
After Washington’s miserable performance against Carolina getting shut out 5-0, you knew that Caps owner Ted Leonsis wouldn’t be pleased with the effort.
Leonsis spoke his mind on his blog this morning and tried to stay positive in spite of the continued inconsistent play by his team.
That was the worst game of the season; we came up small when we needed to come up big and win a game on the road. Another wasted opportunity to get two points and move up in the standings. An unacceptable performance – a 5 to 0 loss.
Since the Capitals swept out Bruce Boudreau and put Dale Hunter in as the interim head coach, the Caps have gone 17-16-4. They sit 10th in the East and they’re third in the miserable Southeast Division, two points behind Florida and one point back of Winnipeg. While Tampa Bay and Carolina are seemingly out of the playoff race, they’re just five and six points respectively behind Washington.
The Caps are so close to being in the playoffs but are equally close to being a completely miserable team in the East. This is what being an average hockey team is like.
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 14
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 7
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 16
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 77
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)