Feb 21, 2012, 12:35 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning are just six points back of Toronto for eighth in the East, but they’ll have to play catch-up without their captain.
Vincent Lecavalier will miss tonight’s game against Anaheim and will be out indefinitely with an upper-body injury. Lightning coach Guy Boucher said the injury “popped up” during practice and an MRI was unable to show what might be wrong. The Lightning say that there is no timetable for when Lecavalier might return.
Lecavalier’s had a strong season for Tampa Bay to this point alongside Steve Stamkos and Martin St. Louis. Those three have carried the Lightning offense yet again this year without a ton of help. Now going without Lecavalier the pressure mounts on Stamkos and St. Louis as well as contributors like Teddy Purcell and Steve Downie to step up their games with him out.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 67
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 32
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15