Feb 21, 2012, 12:35 PM EST
The Tampa Bay Lightning are just six points back of Toronto for eighth in the East, but they’ll have to play catch-up without their captain.
Vincent Lecavalier will miss tonight’s game against Anaheim and will be out indefinitely with an upper-body injury. Lightning coach Guy Boucher said the injury “popped up” during practice and an MRI was unable to show what might be wrong. The Lightning say that there is no timetable for when Lecavalier might return.
Lecavalier’s had a strong season for Tampa Bay to this point alongside Steve Stamkos and Martin St. Louis. Those three have carried the Lightning offense yet again this year without a ton of help. Now going without Lecavalier the pressure mounts on Stamkos and St. Louis as well as contributors like Teddy Purcell and Steve Downie to step up their games with him out.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)