Feb 21, 2012, 1:49 PM EDT
Pittsburgh Magazine — a prominent lifestyle magazine covering the Pittsburgh metropolitan area — recently caught up with Penguins winger James Neal, he of the recently-inked six-year, $30 million deal.
In an lengthy Q&A, the magazine got Neal’s take on a variety of subjects: Twitter wars with Evgeni Malkin, grueling workouts with Gary Roberts, Tyler Kennedy‘s heavy breathing and why Pascal Dupuis is his favorite teammate to make fun of.
There was also some investigation into Neal’s, ahem, relationship with a certain Penguins defenseman:
Q: You came over via trade in the middle of the last season, which is always a difficult thing. Who did you bond with right off the bat?
A: Paul Martin. We lived together before I got my house. He’s a great guy—goes about his business and doesn’t say a word about it. We drive to the rink every day together and go out to dinner a lot. I mean, he’s not my girlfriend or anything. [Laughs]
Q: Paul seems to get a lot of unfair criticism from Pens fans. Is it frustrating to read that stuff?
A: It is frustrating. They give him such a hard time. Paulie goes out and does an unbelievable job every night. He does all the little things as a hockey player. Maybe he doesn’t score much, but you have to think about what he does in his own end, how good of a stick he has and how hard he is to play against. If you really know hockey, you’ll understand how smart and how skilled he is.
So, to recap: Neal and Martin used to live together, drive to work together and usually eat dinner together. Neal also praises “Paulie” for doing the little things and having a good stick.
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 7
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 11
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 10
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 40
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 48
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 39
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 62
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)