Feb 21, 2012, 9:19 AM EDT
With all the trade rumors surrounding the Columbus Blue Jackets, it’s easy to get caught up in the Rick Nash hoopla. After all, he’s the biggest name believed to be available on the market and if he is to be traded, he’s going to fetch the biggest return.
Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson, however, wants people to not lose their minds over what figures to be a very busy week ahead for him and the Columbus franchise as he tells Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch.
“We’re waiting for the right deals,” Howson said. “We’re getting closer. But we’re not there yet.”
Howson says there are no deals imminent right now but with Nash getting a lot of interest from teams like the Kings, Maple Leafs, Rangers, and Flyers as well as center Jeff Carter being actively dangled by the team as well, things won’t stay quiet in Columbus for very long.
Along with Nash and Carter, it’s believed that a number of other players could be had at the right price. Antoine Vermette, Derick Brassard, and R.J. Umberger come to mind here as other trade possibilities. Regardless, it appears we’re about to see a huge change with a franchise that tried to jump into the fire in a big way and failed. This is where Homer Simpson would say that the lesson is to never try.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 23
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 37
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 98
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 11
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 21
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 37
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)