Feb 21, 2012, 9:19 AM EDT
With all the trade rumors surrounding the Columbus Blue Jackets, it’s easy to get caught up in the Rick Nash hoopla. After all, he’s the biggest name believed to be available on the market and if he is to be traded, he’s going to fetch the biggest return.
Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson, however, wants people to not lose their minds over what figures to be a very busy week ahead for him and the Columbus franchise as he tells Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch.
“We’re waiting for the right deals,” Howson said. “We’re getting closer. But we’re not there yet.”
Howson says there are no deals imminent right now but with Nash getting a lot of interest from teams like the Kings, Maple Leafs, Rangers, and Flyers as well as center Jeff Carter being actively dangled by the team as well, things won’t stay quiet in Columbus for very long.
Along with Nash and Carter, it’s believed that a number of other players could be had at the right price. Antoine Vermette, Derick Brassard, and R.J. Umberger come to mind here as other trade possibilities. Regardless, it appears we’re about to see a huge change with a franchise that tried to jump into the fire in a big way and failed. This is where Homer Simpson would say that the lesson is to never try.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (33)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)