Feb 21, 2012, 9:19 AM EDT
With all the trade rumors surrounding the Columbus Blue Jackets, it’s easy to get caught up in the Rick Nash hoopla. After all, he’s the biggest name believed to be available on the market and if he is to be traded, he’s going to fetch the biggest return.
Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson, however, wants people to not lose their minds over what figures to be a very busy week ahead for him and the Columbus franchise as he tells Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch.
“We’re waiting for the right deals,” Howson said. “We’re getting closer. But we’re not there yet.”
Howson says there are no deals imminent right now but with Nash getting a lot of interest from teams like the Kings, Maple Leafs, Rangers, and Flyers as well as center Jeff Carter being actively dangled by the team as well, things won’t stay quiet in Columbus for very long.
Along with Nash and Carter, it’s believed that a number of other players could be had at the right price. Antoine Vermette, Derick Brassard, and R.J. Umberger come to mind here as other trade possibilities. Regardless, it appears we’re about to see a huge change with a franchise that tried to jump into the fire in a big way and failed. This is where Homer Simpson would say that the lesson is to never try.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)