Feb 21, 2012, 11:12 AM EDT
If you had Evgeni Nabokov on your team’s trade deadline wishlist, you’re going to have to start looking at other goalies.
Chris Botta of The New York Times and Islanders Point Blank tweets this morning that the Islanders are offering Nabokov his choice of a one or two-year extension to stay with the team. Botta says the team would like to have Nabokov sign for two years which then brings about the question of what to do with Rick DiPietro.
DiPietro’s monster contract and continued inability to stay healthy forced the Islanders to use Nabokov, Al Montoya, and now youngster Kevin Poulin. The Isles like Montoya as well as Nabokov and Poulin’s entry-level deal goes through next season.
Like Nabokov, Montoya could be an unrestricted free agent at the end of this season. Keeping the 36-year-old Nabokov means either the Isles need to figure out how they want Poulin to proceed next season, how much they like Montoya, and perhaps hoping that the signing of a new CBA over the summer will allow for another round of amnesty-free buyouts to take care of DiPietro.
Garth Snow has been shrewd in how to handle things on Long Island, but he’d better have the right plan for how to handle this awkward situation in goal.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)