Feb 21, 2012, 11:12 AM EDT
If you had Evgeni Nabokov on your team’s trade deadline wishlist, you’re going to have to start looking at other goalies.
Chris Botta of The New York Times and Islanders Point Blank tweets this morning that the Islanders are offering Nabokov his choice of a one or two-year extension to stay with the team. Botta says the team would like to have Nabokov sign for two years which then brings about the question of what to do with Rick DiPietro.
DiPietro’s monster contract and continued inability to stay healthy forced the Islanders to use Nabokov, Al Montoya, and now youngster Kevin Poulin. The Isles like Montoya as well as Nabokov and Poulin’s entry-level deal goes through next season.
Like Nabokov, Montoya could be an unrestricted free agent at the end of this season. Keeping the 36-year-old Nabokov means either the Isles need to figure out how they want Poulin to proceed next season, how much they like Montoya, and perhaps hoping that the signing of a new CBA over the summer will allow for another round of amnesty-free buyouts to take care of DiPietro.
Garth Snow has been shrewd in how to handle things on Long Island, but he’d better have the right plan for how to handle this awkward situation in goal.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 23
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 108
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 78
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (108)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (78)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)