Feb 21, 2012, 11:12 AM EDT
If you had Evgeni Nabokov on your team’s trade deadline wishlist, you’re going to have to start looking at other goalies.
Chris Botta of The New York Times and Islanders Point Blank tweets this morning that the Islanders are offering Nabokov his choice of a one or two-year extension to stay with the team. Botta says the team would like to have Nabokov sign for two years which then brings about the question of what to do with Rick DiPietro.
DiPietro’s monster contract and continued inability to stay healthy forced the Islanders to use Nabokov, Al Montoya, and now youngster Kevin Poulin. The Isles like Montoya as well as Nabokov and Poulin’s entry-level deal goes through next season.
Like Nabokov, Montoya could be an unrestricted free agent at the end of this season. Keeping the 36-year-old Nabokov means either the Isles need to figure out how they want Poulin to proceed next season, how much they like Montoya, and perhaps hoping that the signing of a new CBA over the summer will allow for another round of amnesty-free buyouts to take care of DiPietro.
Garth Snow has been shrewd in how to handle things on Long Island, but he’d better have the right plan for how to handle this awkward situation in goal.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)