Feb 21, 2012, 11:12 AM EDT
If you had Evgeni Nabokov on your team’s trade deadline wishlist, you’re going to have to start looking at other goalies.
Chris Botta of The New York Times and Islanders Point Blank tweets this morning that the Islanders are offering Nabokov his choice of a one or two-year extension to stay with the team. Botta says the team would like to have Nabokov sign for two years which then brings about the question of what to do with Rick DiPietro.
DiPietro’s monster contract and continued inability to stay healthy forced the Islanders to use Nabokov, Al Montoya, and now youngster Kevin Poulin. The Isles like Montoya as well as Nabokov and Poulin’s entry-level deal goes through next season.
Like Nabokov, Montoya could be an unrestricted free agent at the end of this season. Keeping the 36-year-old Nabokov means either the Isles need to figure out how they want Poulin to proceed next season, how much they like Montoya, and perhaps hoping that the signing of a new CBA over the summer will allow for another round of amnesty-free buyouts to take care of DiPietro.
Garth Snow has been shrewd in how to handle things on Long Island, but he’d better have the right plan for how to handle this awkward situation in goal.
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 0
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 1
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 19
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 12
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 22
- Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers 32
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 64
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 45
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- HBT: Cabrera rips three homers, passes Greenberg
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw