Feb 21, 2012, 11:12 AM EST
If you had Evgeni Nabokov on your team’s trade deadline wishlist, you’re going to have to start looking at other goalies.
Chris Botta of The New York Times and Islanders Point Blank tweets this morning that the Islanders are offering Nabokov his choice of a one or two-year extension to stay with the team. Botta says the team would like to have Nabokov sign for two years which then brings about the question of what to do with Rick DiPietro.
DiPietro’s monster contract and continued inability to stay healthy forced the Islanders to use Nabokov, Al Montoya, and now youngster Kevin Poulin. The Isles like Montoya as well as Nabokov and Poulin’s entry-level deal goes through next season.
Like Nabokov, Montoya could be an unrestricted free agent at the end of this season. Keeping the 36-year-old Nabokov means either the Isles need to figure out how they want Poulin to proceed next season, how much they like Montoya, and perhaps hoping that the signing of a new CBA over the summer will allow for another round of amnesty-free buyouts to take care of DiPietro.
Garth Snow has been shrewd in how to handle things on Long Island, but he’d better have the right plan for how to handle this awkward situation in goal.
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 3
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 59
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 45
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 15
- Trade: Montreal acquires Petry from Edmonton for two draft picks 21
- Bruins acquire Connolly from the Lightning for draft picks (Confirmed) 32
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 69
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (161)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)