Feb 21, 2012, 6:43 PM EDT
Have to admit I laughed when I read the headline of Rich Hammond’s latest post over at LA Kings Insider: “Time for defensemen to be more active?”
Just the image of Darryl Sutter wondering if his team – the one with the worst offense in the NHL – should maybe let Drew Doughty off his leash is pretty funny.
In a related story, Sutter is wondering if his brown jacket is too flashy.
OK, that’s not really fair. Sutter actually has no problem letting Doughty push the puck; he just wants the star defenseman to use his teammates at the same time.
“Drew walks that line, of trying to do too much himself or becoming a part of it,” Sutter said. “When he’s really effective, he’s a part of it.”
Doughty has just 25 points in 54 games – not the greatest stat line for a guy that missed training camp while negotiating an eight-year, $56 million deal.
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)