Feb 21, 2012, 6:43 PM EDT
Have to admit I laughed when I read the headline of Rich Hammond’s latest post over at LA Kings Insider: “Time for defensemen to be more active?”
Just the image of Darryl Sutter wondering if his team – the one with the worst offense in the NHL – should maybe let Drew Doughty off his leash is pretty funny.
In a related story, Sutter is wondering if his brown jacket is too flashy.
OK, that’s not really fair. Sutter actually has no problem letting Doughty push the puck; he just wants the star defenseman to use his teammates at the same time.
“Drew walks that line, of trying to do too much himself or becoming a part of it,” Sutter said. “When he’s really effective, he’s a part of it.”
Doughty has just 25 points in 54 games – not the greatest stat line for a guy that missed training camp while negotiating an eight-year, $56 million deal.
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 0
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 16
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 22
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 59
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (148)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (100)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)