Feb 21, 2012, 6:43 PM EST
Have to admit I laughed when I read the headline of Rich Hammond’s latest post over at LA Kings Insider: “Time for defensemen to be more active?”
Just the image of Darryl Sutter wondering if his team – the one with the worst offense in the NHL – should maybe let Drew Doughty off his leash is pretty funny.
In a related story, Sutter is wondering if his brown jacket is too flashy.
OK, that’s not really fair. Sutter actually has no problem letting Doughty push the puck; he just wants the star defenseman to use his teammates at the same time.
“Drew walks that line, of trying to do too much himself or becoming a part of it,” Sutter said. “When he’s really effective, he’s a part of it.”
Doughty has just 25 points in 54 games – not the greatest stat line for a guy that missed training camp while negotiating an eight-year, $56 million deal.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 16
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 4
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 21
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory (53)