Feb 21, 2012, 6:43 PM EDT
Have to admit I laughed when I read the headline of Rich Hammond’s latest post over at LA Kings Insider: “Time for defensemen to be more active?”
Just the image of Darryl Sutter wondering if his team – the one with the worst offense in the NHL – should maybe let Drew Doughty off his leash is pretty funny.
In a related story, Sutter is wondering if his brown jacket is too flashy.
OK, that’s not really fair. Sutter actually has no problem letting Doughty push the puck; he just wants the star defenseman to use his teammates at the same time.
“Drew walks that line, of trying to do too much himself or becoming a part of it,” Sutter said. “When he’s really effective, he’s a part of it.”
Doughty has just 25 points in 54 games – not the greatest stat line for a guy that missed training camp while negotiating an eight-year, $56 million deal.
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 15
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 30
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 54
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 12
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 10
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (54)