Daly to Seattle: Relax, Coyotes haven’t been sold yet

Feb 21, 2012, 5:07 PM EDT

Bill Daly Getty Images

Seattle sports fans are desperate to get their NBA team back. As such, they’ve got a lot riding on the future of the Phoenix Coyotes.

Wait, what?

A quick refresher for those who may be confused:

—- There’s a plan to build a new arena in Seattle that could house an NBA and NHL team.

—- The guy building the arena, hedge-fund manager Christopher Hansen, would own the NBA team, assuming he can find one.

—- But the whole thing might not make financial sense without a second tenant for the arena, an NHL team.

Therefore, when it was reported that the Coyotes were close to being sold to Greg Jamison (who would keep them in the desert), Seattle sports fans wondered if their arena plan was doomed. After all, if the Coyotes stay put, there isn’t a readily available NHL team to relocate.

Today NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly talked Seattle off the ledge, telling KING 5 that a deal to sell the league-owned Coyotes hasn’t been reached.

“We are the owner of the team, and thus should know if and when we have a deal to sell the team,” Daly said.

“I have unequivocally denied (several times) that we have a deal with Jamison, (much less that the Board has approved him).  I hope it gets done with Jamison, but there is a long way between here and there.”

1. govtminion - Feb 21, 2012 at 5:35 PM

…not sure if I like the idea of a team moving to Seattle just to lure the NBA there. Seems like once that happens, the NHL franchise becomes forgotten. I hope I’m wrong about that, but it doesn’t sound good to me.

• greatminnesotasportsmind - Feb 21, 2012 at 6:07 PM

It’s not like Los Angeles, Miami, Minnesota, Boston, Philadelphia, and other cities have problems supporting both NHL and NBA franchises.

• govtminion - Feb 21, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Oh I don’t mean SUPPORTING two at once. I mean in this case it feels like the reason people want an NHL team in Seattle is so that they can lure an NBA team to be there as well. As opposed to having both like many cities, the NHL team sounds like it’s just a lure to be dangled.

Whether that’s the case or not is debatable, I suppose, but that’s kind of the vibe I’m getting. “What’s the best way to get the Sonics back? I know, if we have an NHL team, the NBA will come here! Let’s get an NHL team, and then we can get basketball again!”

• dbara43 - Feb 21, 2012 at 8:45 PM

I don’t care what it takes to get the NHL here. I’ll be going to that arena to watch hockey. I am permanently an ex-NBA fan. That league can rot and all of the it’s pimps, ho’s and comissioners with it.

2. snoqualmieterry - Feb 21, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Seattle will support hockey. A stadium built to support both hockey and basketball makes a great deal of séance.

3. bcjim - Feb 21, 2012 at 6:08 PM

I remain impressed that he can run the NHL while globetrotting in search of vile an disgusting “food” to stuff in his face. Not sure why he uses 2 names though, dude, we see its you.

• govtminion - Feb 21, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Hell, I think I almost laughed up a lung…

• AlohaMrHand - Feb 22, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Bizarre Run franchises..with Andrew Zimmer.

4. AlohaMrHand - Feb 21, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Once the money pit sucks down more cash the new owners will wise up and go up north.

5. dbara43 - Feb 21, 2012 at 8:50 PM

I want to keep Phoenix in the league, more western teams are needed. Seattle, Portland, Salt Lake City and either Houston or San Antonio (Dallas needs a natural rival) would seem to be better places than Columbus, Nashville, Greensboro, Miami, Long Island, or Tampa for the NHL.

db

6. eastcoastcynic - Feb 21, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Somebody tell me, how the heck is Glendale going to slide an Coyote ownership agreement by the Goldwater Institute that requires a fund be set up to make payments (taxpayer subsidies) to the ownership group to support the team? They shot down the Hulsizer agreement for a similar arrangement. Why not this one?

• govtminion - Feb 22, 2012 at 10:41 AM

I think they’re going to use the ‘think happy thoughts’ battle plan this time. After all, it’s got to work eventually, right?

Seriously though, you bring up a good point- I’ll be interested to see what the difference is this time. I have to believe there IS a difference, and that the league wouldn’t allow the same mistakes as last time.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches