Feb 21, 2012, 5:07 PM EDT
Seattle sports fans are desperate to get their NBA team back. As such, they’ve got a lot riding on the future of the Phoenix Coyotes.
A quick refresher for those who may be confused:
—- There’s a plan to build a new arena in Seattle that could house an NBA and NHL team.
—- The guy building the arena, hedge-fund manager Christopher Hansen, would own the NBA team, assuming he can find one.
—- But the whole thing might not make financial sense without a second tenant for the arena, an NHL team.
Therefore, when it was reported that the Coyotes were close to being sold to Greg Jamison (who would keep them in the desert), Seattle sports fans wondered if their arena plan was doomed. After all, if the Coyotes stay put, there isn’t a readily available NHL team to relocate.
Today NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly talked Seattle off the ledge, telling KING 5 that a deal to sell the league-owned Coyotes hasn’t been reached.
“We are the owner of the team, and thus should know if and when we have a deal to sell the team,” Daly said.
“I have unequivocally denied (several times) that we have a deal with Jamison, (much less that the Board has approved him). I hope it gets done with Jamison, but there is a long way between here and there.”
- Video: Tavares, Islanders take 2-1 series lead with OT win 18
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 5
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 13
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 83
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 68
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 166
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 18
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (166)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (83)