Feb 21, 2012, 12:06 PM EDT
With the Sabres’ playoff hopes decreasing by the day, the focus in Buffalo has shifted to Monday’s trade deadline — specifically, which players could be dealt as the team tries to salvage something from this season.
One of the players being mentioned? Alternate captain Paul Gaustad…not that he sounds overly keen on being dealt. He’s spent his entire NHL career in Buffalo and made it clear he has unfinished business in the city.
“I’ve always wanted to be a Sabre and win in Buffalo,” Gaustad told the Buffalo News. “I’ve come to grow up here and my adult life has been in Western New York. Winning here is one of my main goals in hockey.”
That said, Gaustad knows he’s a tantalizing asset at this time of the year — impending UFA, good in the faceoff circle (ninth in the NHL) and at 6-foot-5, 225-pounds, a dynamic physical presence, especially in front of goal.
Gaustad’s also turned it up lately, scoring 3G-7A-10PTS over his last 10 games. It all adds up to a guy that could be shopped throughout the league leading up to Feb. 27 — but also a guy that’s found his groove and would like to remain a Sabre.
“A lot of personal success comes from team success and we’ve played well as a team,” Gaustad said. “When the team plays well, the personal stuff follows.”
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 3
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 19
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)